whats the league table re Mercs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Bird

Car
Mercedes C200 stunning condition Rare Red 1999
I get confused and dont know a clk from an slk is there an easy formula .I get the feeling a E class is superior to a C class yet inferior to a S class yet i see a C class C63 and that throws a spanner in the works as thats surely superior to most others.It seemed easier years ago with say a ford L GL GLX GT Ghia

I get confused and dont know a clk from an slk is there an easy formula .I get the feeling a E class is superior to a C class yet inferior to a S class yet i see a C class C63 and that throws a spanner in the works as thats surely superior to most others.It seemed easier years ago with say a ford L GL GLX GT Ghia

It all depends what you regard as superior- size, luxury, performance...

Price is the best comparator between models, variants and trims- though it can be misleading unless inclusion of standard kit v cost options are also considered when comparing.

The only "easy" bit I'm aware of (as a non-diehard MB enthusiast) is that the "k" at the end of the model name is klein- German for small- so an SLK is the little brother of an SL, the CLK of a CL- but being smaller doesn't in itself make the "k"s inferior.

UPDATE- sorry, scratch that- apparently it's "kurz"- German for short, but same principle

Last edited:
It all depends what you regard as superior- size, luxury, performance...

Price is the best comparator between models, variants and trims- though it can be misleading unless inclusion of standard kit v cost options are also considered when comparing.

The only "easy" bit I'm aware of (as a non-diehard MB enthusiast) is that the "k" at the end of the model name is klein- German for small- so an SLK is the little brother of an SL, the CLK of a CL- but being smaller doesn't in itself make the "k"s inferior.
I never knew that about the K.

I never knew that about the K.

sorry- please see my edit to the original post- I thought I'd just check my facts and discovered it's "kurz" (=short)- so I've fallen in to the trap of acting like an interweb expert:eek:

Don't know how accurate this is, or if it will help or confuse matters but hey-ho......

The Mercedes Benz Car Buyers' Guide comprises of twenty-two models and two hundred eighty variants. Amongst the 15,680 items of data recorded, we list new car prices, NCAP safety and insurance ratings, servicing schedules and warranty information. Included within the car specifications are CO2 emissions levels, which affect VED, the environment and car tax bands. We also list fuel consumption data, overall dimensions, capacities and specifications plus towing limits.

Mercedes Benz Car Guide | Current Full UK Range

Just remember the CLS is the best model.. :D

Unless you're called *** in which case it's the C220 cdi Sport Wagon.. :D

...except the CLK is only based on the CL in its external design similarities, it does not share the CL underpinning, just as the SLK does not share the SL underpinnings... and the E-Class Coupé is actually based on the C-Class floorpan and running gear...

The 'Kurz' Mercs are not really a shorter version of the bigger model .... but a small car dressed to book like a smaller variant of a larger one.

Last edited:
bpsorrel said:
Just remember the CLS is the best model.. :D

Unless you're called *** in which case it's the C220 cdi Sport Wagon.. :D

Some would say there is no finer car...

But the flag ship is the S class or SL class.

Some would say there is no finer car...

But the flag ship is the S class or SL class.

I would say that CL leads the way

And dont get me wrong, I have C220cdi tourer too ;)

Last edited:
Igurisu said:
SL is based on E class.

CL is based on S class.

Are you sure.

The SL (R231) gets a highly aluminium intensive platform. Only the A posts are steel.

The E (212) is a steel floor plan with aluminium wings bonnet and possibly doors.

Dimensionally the older 230 SL was too large to be based on the 211. All they shared was SBC. Iirc it was a separate platform that perhaps overlapped with the w220

That's what SL drivers like to have you believe! ;-)

CL
S
SL
GL
R
CLS
ML
E
CLK
SLK
C
B
A

I think this is what the op is after. It only took me 30 seconds and certainly is not entirely accurate. Once you start writing it down you can really see that many overlap and some should be equal but due to simplicity of a list format some are above or below.

The giveaway regarding the CL's superiority is that for many years it was the most expensive MB model on sale (i.e. before they started selling AMG/SLS etc etc).

I'm not biased at all. The CLK is the best car ever produced by MB. Fact.

You are correct there, it is the best built, superior trim and fastest (especially in 270CDi guise)....:rolleyes: Well thats what the salesman told me so it must be right..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom