What's the Mercedes equivalent of an e34 540 touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
My knowledge of old mercs isn't great and having driven my e55 for a week its great but super complicated, bearing in mind what I normally drive.
I'm sure I'll get to appreciate some of it but I doubt I'll use it all.
So what other options might there be for mid 90s quick estates?
RS2 is the obvious choice along with the 540.

The closest to it it'll be a 320 S124.I know it's two cyl short but power wise the Merc is about 20-30 hp slower

s210 e55 although its bit boxy! S124 is a classic but shame there was no e500 estate!
Maybe its just me but I'd like the option to buy a new quick estate but one that doesn't have to come with the top spec. I don't really need much beyond a radio, a sunroof and heated seats!

S124 E36 AMG - good luck finding one - I think there were only 7 RHD examples built .

I nearly bought the Nautic Blue one .

The closest Mercedes you can get to it would be the w210 e430, or w202 c43. The w124 wagon has the same simple electrics but sadly no equivalent engine.

Audi c4 s6 is what I would be looking for, we got the 5 pot turbo here but Europe had the 4.2 v8 version.

I had a 1996 540i/6 a few years ago, it was a bit scruffy looking but I fell in love with it. I did wonder if anyone would want the e34 m5 after driving the 540...

1998_zpsstjste91.jpg

Last edited:
Yes traction was a issue lol ;)

Forged rods and running coils custom inlet mani thats had a lot of work, what bhp was that runing?

Last edited:
Yes traction was a issue lol ;)

Forged rods and running coils custom inlet mani thats had a lot of work, what bhp was that runing?

IIRC it was about 480.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom