Whats the play in the steering wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richduc

Car
E280 CDI
Hi All
I have about 30 degrees of play in the steering wheel when on lock. Is this normal - I am used to cars which have virtually none.
Any advice appreciated. (I searched forum prior to post)

Thanks
Rich

Hi All
I have about 30 degrees of play in the steering wheel when on lock. Is this normal - I am used to cars which have virtually none.
Any advice appreciated. (I searched forum prior to post)

Thanks
Rich

Sounds like a steering box rather than a rack and pinion. It's normal for boxes to have a lot more play on full lock than they do straight ahead. They can be adjusted but there will still be more play than a rack, the MOT even allows for it. MB persisted with steering boxes long after everyone else moved to racks.

thanks for the reply and I realise I was totally unclear in my OP. What I meant to say was when the steering wheel is locked after I remove the key it has said play. I am not automotively articulate!
Sorry!

Whats the play in the steering wheel?

The Taming of the Slew? :thumb: :)

thanks for the reply and I realise I was totally unclear in my OP. What I meant to say was when the steering wheel is locked after I remove the key it has said play. I am not automotively articulate!
Sorry!
Don't think that degree of play is normal. You need to check how firmly the steering wheel is attached to the column and the operation steering locking pawl. This will require the disabling and removal of the steering wheel air bag and the cladding round the steering column. Best to be more specific about the age and exact model of car you have. Does it for example have an electrically adjustable steering column?

I shall ignore the puns!
Its a 58 plate E280CDI. The car seems A1 in other respects.
Could this be a major issue?
Rich

at the risk of sounding like I don't know what I'm on about (I don't) I have gauged the play at more like 15 degress, but the thing is turn it o one side and it hits the stop turn it the other and it feels like, if it wasn't for the lack of power steering I could overcome the lock....

Do not drive with the steering lock on, 30 degrees is not enough and extremely dangerous:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom