What's the possibility of putting a C32 engine into W208 Chassis.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crisc204

Car
w208 Coupe,
What's the possibility of putting a C32 or SLK32 engine into W208 Chassis?

I quite like Superchargers and I really like my 320 CLK so whats the main issues with putting this engine into my car?

All i'm really after is what do I need to know about getting it into the car and running as per O.E Mercedes fitment, is it worth it, why not just buy a C32 all miss the point but if you hold this view and know something which may be of help please don't be put off by my comment, more info will be welcomed!

From my research on the idea getting an AMG ECU into the car is the only real 'big' thing that needs solving...

My reasoning is the SLK32 engine was offered in the same suite of engines my CLK had so if they are of the same vintage and use the same 'Language' to talk to the other systems such as autobox, dash clocks and alarm/immobilzers you should be able to fit a slk32 ECU to a CLK if you know the pinouts and can match them up....

what say you all?

Last edited:
Why not supercharge you engine?

Why not supercharge you engine?

+1

The C32 is effectively the 3.2 litre M112 engine with a Supercharger.

I know other tuners, such as Kleeman did supercharger conversions for the 'standard' M112s. Perhaps there are other kits or solutions out there?

Fair point, easiest way would be to supercharge my engine but Kleeman want 6K +vat @25%...and I have been looking on and off for 2 years for a kit to turn up on ebay or a forum, there was a whole car about a year ago but I didn't have enough money to consider buying it and having the goodies off it, that went for £6500 if Ebay is to be believed (£ iirc)

So, the AMG engine seems the best option to me as I would imagine there are alot of differences to the internals and an its a known quantity. Plus the off the shelf availability of parts should they be needed.

If the C32 heads fit on my Engine then I'm not scared of pulling it apart for some custom Forged rods and Pistons. (how do you type a evil laugh?)

we are thinking of doing a simerlar thing on a 129 sl. from my inital enquirys, the c32 runs 14 psi. std 3.2 will, i reckon, only hold about 7 psi before it pops, so will probbably selling a std 3.2 at some stage!

your question about the electronics for the gearbox and other things has got me wondering though!

Can't see the point in it if I'm honest when you can buy a perfectly good CLK55 for not much cash. You can then sell your 320 on to recoup some of the difference :)

No point in trying to make a car that pretty much already exists - the 342bhp CLK55 comes with the V8 soundtrack thrown in too ;)

Not to mention - AMG exhaust system, brakes, suspension, wheels, bodystyling, steering wheel/cluster etc and most have a very high spec - nappa leather, heated/electric/memory/orthapaedic seats etc :cool:

Will

up from the depths!
Not to long after this thread was first active back in May 2010 my car got hit by a drunk-driver and a long legal kerfuffle ensued....

My interest in the Mercedes dipped and I bought a turbocharged 'ooligan car, which has now been moved on.

The Mercedes was put in storage until they coughed up.

It's now back and better than ever after a repaint and updated mirrors bumpers and audio.... soooooooo after driving it about for a month or two the idea of having the greater performance from the supercharged engine has popped back into my head.

The car already has AMG wheels, brakes, lots of suspension upgrades and has pretty much all the AMG bits apart from the bodykit and orthapaedic seats (it has the memory seats)

If not a supercharged engine what about a V8 like the AMG C43 engine floating about after the forum members C55 engine swap??

I'm keeping the car so selling it to buy another or the resale valve or it don't feature amazing high on my agenda

(more later have to shut down the workshop and get home!!)

Hi,
If you go to the bother of converting your CLK V6 to a V8, its got to be a 55 engine, its "exactly the same as the 43 engine.
It would be easier to convert to the C32 Engine, fitting the engine would be easy but fabricating and mounting the intercooler could be troublesome, though the biggest issue will be getting it running, you will have to have a bespoke ECU to run it, unless of course you manage to secure a whole C32 as a doner car then you could transfer everything over, this would have to include the ignition switch steering lock, keys and ECU, you will have to also be able to prove ownership to the doner car even after it has bee scrapped to enable any spare keys to be purchased.
This in my opinion would porhibitively expensive due to the need for the doner car, as said before the cheapest way is still to go for a Kleeman.
Good luck in what ever you decide bud.

Last edited:
I can't link to it from my phone but there's a damaged c32 on ebay for £3250.

hello again

small matter of my hometown turning into a no-go riot zone over the past few days has meant time spent repairing/cleaning/rebuilding...

thanks for the heads up, that damaged C32 is on my watch list...

There is a package on ebay of a C32 engine, ecu and looms between the two with a key and a few other bits...

We have a car bodyshop and I could fit everything myself, I have worked out how the key/immob works on mine.
I dropped the old key once and had to fix it!

with a new engine getting it to integrate with my CLK is the challenge, I need a better working knowledge of how the various bits talk to each other. and which bits talk to each other.

Can the gearbox control unit from my generation of CLK be it the V6 or V8 type talk to an slk 32 AMG engine ECU?
Or is the question what gearbox does the SLk32 use and what other models share it

Whats the deal

(p.s. Andy are you the chap who's converted his 43 to a 55?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom