What's this about then

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, it's so that his advert is the first when you select the 'price-lowest first' option.

It is becoming increasingly common to do this on Autotrader and it is very irritating.

My policy is to ignore any car that is being sold in this way as the owner clearly is not being open and honest. I have reported it to Autotrader but the response was " we will look into it" Nothing seems to have happened to stop it though.

It is cheaper to advertise under £1000, yes. £41 for the standard package, £17 if it's under £1000. Dodging the fees, should have the ad terminated.

Main AutoTrader advert

Last edited:
It's completely pointless - if you only want to spend <£1K then anything showing up as hgher will be just an annoying irrelevance.

I reckon you've just wasted the £17

I saw a similar type ad on ebay a couple of weeks ago , but forget what car it was. Ad was £500 but wanted £1100 and stated that it was advertised this way "because of ebay rules" . As others have stated , this would put me off having any deal whatsoever with the seller.

It is becoming increasingly common to do this on Autotrader and it is very irritating.

My policy is to ignore any car that is being sold in this way as the owner clearly is not being open and honest. I have reported it to Autotrader but the response was " we will look into it" Nothing seems to have happened to stop it though.

I reported this to Autotrader a lot earlier this year as I find it annoying as well.

They emailed back and said they would contact the advertiser and cancel any advert which wasn't within their conditions.

I looked back every other night for about a month.

All the adverts cleared up and none saying "actual price is this"?

Like f*** they were - just as many as before it seemed.

They're are as inept as our successive governments.

I would just ignore anything which is not the advertised price also as it emits a strong whiff of distrust.

Similarly, many ad's have an incorrect mileage, for example 96 miles when the actual mileage is 96,000!
Frustrating when trying to find a car with less than say 40,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom