What's this flying bug.

AANDYY

Car
E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
I've asked 'you lot' before on plant names, and new the name, so I saw this today on my window frame, is it just a flying ant? Those legs look wierd though?

Eww! :p

bennesspipers

MB Enthusiast
Car
'95 W202 C220 Elegance saloon & 2001 C240 V6 Sport Estate
Looks like a wood wasp,thats not a stinger,just what it uses to lay its eggs in the wood,not generally native to this country, ive seen them in packs of timber (from scandinavia i think)

OP
OP
AANDYY

AANDYY

Car
E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
CLS63 AMG
Looks like a wood wasp,thats not a stinger,just what it uses to lay its eggs in the wood,not generally native to this country, ive seen them in packs of timber (from scandinavia i think)
Funny you should say that, I was in B&Q last year and there was one dead in the piles of wood - it was over 2" long!

Id stay away from it if I were you!

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
CLS63 AMG
Yeah as Bennespipers said, its a Wood Wasp, female - Males dont have the large spike:

People on another forum confirmed it aswell :D

CE230

Car
230CE
Mostly found north of Birmingham in this country as they migrate down from Scotland where they are more prevalent. The females do look a bit scarey. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom