whats this noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like pully noise ,why not try taking of drive belt to power steering etc .

I can hear the sound of an engine but within that sound I can hear a thumping at a rate of about 8 thumps per second, is it the thumping that you mean?

Dec

you can hear it in the video at the last five seconds better.

Get a can of dash cleaner or silicone spray and with it running give the fan belt a squirt and see if the sound goes away, it could be the fan belt sticking to the pulleys. I know it sounds daft but just humor me :)

Think ive found the problem

[YOUTUBE]O8Xyoq69sOU[/YOUTUBE]

If its the slightly higher pitched chatter then it does sound like something driven by the poly v belt. As davidsw suggests the only simple test is to release the tensioner -remove the belt [ could be the tensioner pulley bearing for example?] and examine all the ancillary pulleys and associated bearings. Is that the aircon compressor we are looking at?

edit:- beat me to it-- tensioner bearing??

No idea which pulley it is but at least I've found the one! thanks to my neighbour, thanks to you chaps for your comments :thumb:

any1 know costs involved or if there is a kit before i book it in?

But why is that pulley not running against the belt?

Surely it is not supposed to spin freely?

Glad you you're getting there. Sounded healthy from the cabin view in your other video when you were (obviously) on an Autobahn :D

;)
The pulley is free spinning due to my neighbour pulling on the belt.

Its just an idler pulley, costs about £25 from mb and easy to fit.

I'd rather the stealer does it as there isn't much room to move plus they can check the other pulleys & new belt while there doin it.

I'd rather the stealer does it as there isn't much room to move plus they can check the other pulleys & new belt while there doin it.

You can bet for sure they will check the other pulleys while the belt is removed........there is no way they will pass any opportunity to relieve you of more of your cash........:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom