What's This Noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the engine or some other forum, so Mods, please move it if you see fit. Anyway............. someone please tell me what this strange noise is.

My E350 Estate is a mere 1700 miles old and in normal running is as quiet as a church mouse. But in slow traffic, there is a periodic noise (sounds to be from the rear but my ears aren't as good as they used to be), almost like a pump running and it is very noticable. I haven't timed it, to check if there is any regularity, but at a guess I'd say it runs for 4-6 seconds about every half minute to a minute.

The only thing I can imagine is that it is either fuel pump or the Urea pump for the exhaust dosing system. But if one of those it is way, way too loud and the urea is going to be empty long before first service. It definately isn't aircon or heating related, because it still happens when climate is turned off. It happens whether the car is stationary or moving. I never notice it when at continuous speed above maybe 5-10mph. Still happens if the Econ mode (auto start/stop) is turned off. I don't have any fancy extra air suspension, only what came as standard.

It spoils a terrific car and I'm sure it shouldn't be there, but I've had enough experience of taking a car under warranty to a dealer to sort out "that noise" and I'd like a few bullets in mind before I wander over.

Please, someone give me a clue! :confused:

Is possible to record the noise?

Sounds similar to the SBC pump from the W211 but yours won't have that pump :D

Last edited:
Guess I could try recording it, but it doesn't exactly jump out and hit you like a hole in the exhaust would and it's no louder than the overall traffic noise. I'll see what my phone can do, but I don't have high hopes.

However, I have spotted it this afternoon at maybe 20-30mph but less frequently and it is much less notiicable because obviously, road, engine and environmental noise is louder and tends to mask it.

Since you mention that it sounds like SBC, I do think it sounds a little like the electronic parking brake on an Audi coming on and has about the same duration, but can't imagine it being brake related at 20mph!

Probably one of those noises where you need to get a mechanic to sit in and drive about.

Go speak to the dealer and see what they suggest, you do have new car.

I never quite understand posters raising a tread to speculate over a problem with a new car, which is under manufacturers warranty.

just take it to the dealer, then report here.

I never quite understand posters raising a tread to speculate over a problem with a new car, which is under manufacturers warranty.

Thats not very helpful, is it??

Thats not very helpful, is it??

Nice try at bitching, but how helpful can anyone be when there is no information to go on.

The car is brand new, take it back to the dealer and find out what the issue is.

That's helpful... ;)

At least my faith in Human nature has been justified. You really are just a whining Hole. I'll await your "Thanks" from The Don. :)

Last edited:
Nice try at bitching, but how helpful can anyone be when there is no information to go on.

The car is brand new, take it back to the dealer and find out what the issue is.

That's helpful... ;)

At least my faith in Human nature has been justified. You really are just a whining Hole. :)

Such a peaceful place it was with you away...

Cant help yourself without getting personal, now the name calling, pathetic!

For the record, you are the biggest b***h on here.
Starting arguments, inflaming existing ones, belittling anyone who doesn't clap when you open your gob.

So glad to see you are back at being yourself :)

Such a peaceful place it was with you away...

For the record, you are the biggest b***h on here.

Hmm. Strange how you and The Don were picked up as being chief "stirrers" while I was gone.

Please note: When you are not here, I don't notice the passing.

So who is the problem?

Here's how it works....................

I bought my wife a new convertible (VW, the one with the 5 part metal roof) and had an occasional, very annoying knock from the rear of the roof over bumps. It had five sessions at the dealer (eight days in total), three of them with me in the car saying, "that's the noise". Eventually, only when I contacted VW corporate HQ in Milton Keynes and threatened to reject the car did they roll out a guru, who gave the dealer instructions on how to fix it. Misssing shim, ex-factory, apparently.

By the same token, my last new car had a minor problem with being lumpy when pulling away and when I mentioned it at first service I ended up with half the dual clutch gearbox being replaced.

Both these experiences were before I discovered forums with helpful people. Apparently, you aren't one of the helpful ones, in which case you could have just kept your lack of understanding to yourself and kept your trap shut.

I have a car with an intermittent noise. I can't be the only person with a facelift E series and I wondered if someone else had heard the same thing. I bought it from a dealer a good distance from home and my local dealer may not be pleased to stump up workshop time for something that they consider "normal".

If there were no takers here then after Christmas I'd have taken the time to visit a dealer and go through the whole rigmarole. It's not rocket science, is it chum?

:fail

Both these experiences were before I discovered forums with helpful people. Apparently, you aren't one of the helpful ones, in which case you could have just kept your lack of understanding to yourself and kept your trap shut.
PMSL... :D

If there were no takers here then after Christmas I'd have taken the time to visit a dealer and go through the whole rigmarole. It's not rocket science, is it chum?

I knew you were a friendly Bloke right from your first post...

Take it to the dealer and see what they say before busting a blood vessel.

Well pumps at the rear of the car could be fuel pump sender or air suspension. I'd bet at air suspension at the moment.

How about getting driven round by the Mrs while you sit in the back and try to record the noise.

I'd be looking to investigate before "it's under warranty take it to the dealer" useless reply. Walking into the dealer with more info it much more likely to get action.

These small noises can drive you nuts!

^ You can't say "Take it to the dealer."

First Major 774 says that, then I do and then you do.

Interestingly, Cinek then kicks off only at me and so does Telfonso...

What about the other two?

dieselman

cant help but give my opinion , yes the man is very sarky but also full of very worthwhile information. over the top sometimes but then so's life.

I'd take it to the dealer :D.

Seriously, do you have dynamic seats?

I can hear mine when they are in operation - though it's not overly loud.

Last edited:
I'd take it to the dealer :D.

Seriously, do you have dynamic seats?

I can hear mine when they are in operation - though it's not overly loud.
YES!

Sounded like a winner until I thought a bit and realised that they only pump up when on the move, i.e. the opposite of when I notice . But that's not to say there isn't an air reservoir to pump up. I'll definately try it with the seats turned off and with the massage turned both on and off to see if there's a change.

Many, many thanks for the suggestion.

p.s. - any idea what PMSL means? Is it something to do with incontinence? I'd ask Dieselman but I fear he'd tell me to go straight to a dealer. He doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the word, "apparently" so I don't want to labour the discourse with him further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom