What's this Piece Called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need to find a way to mount my snorkel to the Micra, and am thinking the simpler the better.

Any idea what the attacked parts are called? I'm looking for something like these that will fit 70-80mm ish (76mm internal diameter, not sure about external yet)

M.

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPk5BQl7p0KZRQ~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPk5BQl7p0KZRQ~~60_57.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 39
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 20
Google "80mm flue bracket". Loads to choose from and your local diy warehouse or plumbers merchant will stock a good variety.

The one on the right is a P-clip which exist in sizes upto a chunk larger than 80mm, dunno if there is a specific name for the left hand pic... it's kinda a cross between a P-clip and a saddle clamp

P-clip brings up all sorts of results, so that'll work.

So does the flue clip, splendid!

Now I just need to figure out how to make the snorkel. A little worried about (rain) water going into the air intake when the car is parked and just sitting there until I start/use the car...

m.

Commerically made engine snorkels typically have a simple air/water seperator at the inlet which allows excess water to drain out. This is more about when the engine is running (vacuum at the inlet) and it's peeing down or water being splashed up into an inlet that's pointing down. Googling 'engine snorkel water drain' should get some pics that explain better than words can but basically all you need is an acute bend at the inlet followed by a step which acts like a rain gutter
Some have a water trap further down stream with a simple valve so it can be drained like a compressor tank

Commerically made engine snorkels typically have a simple air/water seperator at the inlet which allows excess water to drain out. This is more about when the engine is running (vacuum at the inlet) and it's peeing down or water being splashed up into an inlet that's pointing down. Googling 'engine snorkel water drain' should get some pics that explain better than words can but basically all you need is an acute bend at the inlet followed by a step which acts like a rain gutter
Some have a water trap further down stream with a simple valve so it can be drained like a compressor tank

Thanks. I think that I'll do what I did with the shogun, and just fit a cyclonic pre-filter on the top and hope for the best.

Looking at the stock air intake, it has 2 holes which may be drainage holes, but neither is at a low point. In fact, the intake front is the lowest point.

Just need to make sure the air box has some form of drainage... and hope for the best.

Or I could just put the air intake of the snorkel inside the cabin...

M.

That's a fantastic idea !!!

Thanks - except that it would allow fuel vapors back into the cabin when not sucking air hard and fast. Also, the noise over 4-weeks would get quite annoying...

It was an idea I toyed with (stolen from grass rally cars) - but then usually don't have windows!

Maybe a combination between a traditional snorkel, and a flexi-hose I can lob over it and into the cabin...

M.

What about a vent to the outside via your window - a bit like a tumble dryer ?

.... or a roof vent ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom