What's this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
Does anyone know what this is...the long rectangular thing to the immediate left of the engine/oil cap? See pic.

ForumRunner_20140412_090737.jpg

The air filter box

The air filter box

Thanks very much. I was vacuuming out all the leaves and debris out of the engine bay yesterday and noticed that one of the three spring clips was missing from this air filter box.

Foolishly I decided to open the lid by removing the remaining 2 clips, and the clip went ping and disappeared forever to the bottom of the engine bay...probably resting now on the engine bay cover. I can't see it anywhere! :doh:

1. Is the loss of 2 out of 3 clips likely to cause a problem?
2. Can I purchase new clips anywhere without having to buy a whole new air filter box?

Last edited:
Also I noticed that the rubber plastic air duct that feeds air from the front of the engine bay to the air filter box had become loose and was no longer attached, so it wasn't supplying air to the box. What is the likely effect of that? Reduced fuel economy, drop in performance? Other effects?

It will do a bit of difference, prob not enough for you to notice so long as its not sucking warm air in.

Also I noticed that the rubber plastic air duct that feeds air from the front of the engine bay to the air filter box had become loose and was no longer attached, so it wasn't supplying air to the box. What is the likely effect of that? Reduced fuel economy, drop in performance? Other effects?
Probably nothing much but theoretically by feeding hotter ,less dense air from the engine compartment rather than cooler denser air from the front intake might prevent the engine running better/ slightly more economically. Governed by the difference in the 2 temperatures i.e. more likely to be of benefit after a long journey in hot conditions. Technically since the MAF unit works on the thermal principle ----the sensor is one leg of a heated wheatstone bridge circuit and measures the density of air passing by how much its cooled by the passage of the engine air charge it should compensate anyway.

" I expect MB want gazillions of pounds for some of them "

Air filter housing spring. A000 993 17 25.

0.43p each approx. Look closely...there are seven in total.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom