Whats with the Expensive cars these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
I live in a nice enough street, but along way from what you'd call millionaires row (Bexley is the cheapest london borough-by a long way as well!) but for some reason the world and his brother is buying expensive cars in our street!. The guy whos lives opposite me bought a convertible 6 series BMW, and there already a few Jag XK8's,CLK's and couple of early 90's SL's. But now the guy who lives at the entrance to the road has just bought a brand new Merc ML AND an Aston Martin DB9. Im starting to feel like the real pauper of the street in my 2 grand Merc!

Where do people get the money from these days, they must either be drug dealers or bank robbers :)

It's from the money left over when buying thier "cheap" houses ;)

I suspect most of them will be up to their eyeballs in dept. Maybe next year they will pay the price

Unless they are stock brockers / property tycoons / bank managers / politicians / drug dealers etc,

Might be some of that Kenny Noye gold surfacing at last from the Brinks Mat job,one of his mates lived over near the Blue Anchor and the police did a very thorough search of his gaff a few years back.;)

Might be some of that Kenny Noye gold surfacing at last from the Brinks Mat job,one of his mates lived over near the Blue Anchor and the police did a very thorough search of his gaff a few years back.;)

Yeah Kenny has plenty of dough, but luckily he doesnt live here!:D not flash enough for him.I think his son lives in West kingsdown on one of the proerty developments he started.

Yep I guess debt plays a part, Ive seen the ads in Autocar each week wherre you can lease/purchase an Aston for £1500 p.m or thereabouts, but even still, thats hardly pocket money!.

Weird because down here it is going in the opposite direction! :eek: :eek: My neighbours used to have Roller's, Bentley's or top of the range German vehicles, but I'm struggling to think of anyone that now has anything really eye catching :eek: :eek: :eek:

Regards
John

Guilty your honour

Not in debt..but a bit of a shady lifestyle.nudge nudge..you ain't seen me Right.
Just got an s500 yesterday
s5004.jpg

That looks well shady. It's even got a bank robbers indecipherable numberplate.

I live in a nice enough street, but along way from what you'd call millionaires row (Bexley is the cheapest london borough-by a long way as well!) but for some reason the world and his brother is buying expensive cars in our street!. The guy whos lives opposite me bought a convertible 6 series BMW, and there already a few Jag XK8's,CLK's and couple of early 90's SL's. But now the guy who lives at the entrance to the road has just bought a brand new Merc ML AND an Aston Martin DB9. Im starting to feel like the real pauper of the street in my 2 grand Merc!

Where do people get the money from these days, they must either be drug dealers or bank robbers :)

Or be on benefits!!!!!!

Don't worry about the cars. The only one with perhaps any panache is the DB9. The likes of MB,BMW, Jaguar ( sorry Ford) have for a few years now no longer been a signature of one's breeding/status ( or lack of ) and your 2 grand merc will have more style than the ML.

its all finance.. anyone can get it these days... if not get it in your grandmas mates cosuins name.. who cares..

even with the credit crunch there is plenty out there..

we are turning into america.. soon asda will start selling cucumbers at 2 pence a week for 36 months...

Yep defintiely credit & 'new' money. Used to see this around Liverpool & Manchester a lot. Anyone & everyone in the latest cars - stuff like X5's when they first came out, RR Sports etc. very strange.

On the flip side go round Kensignton, Hampstead etc. and your 15 year old Mercs just happen to look right - have the old money look!

Yep defintiely credit & 'new' money. Used to see this around Liverpool & Manchester a lot. Anyone & everyone in the latest cars - stuff like X5's when they first came out, RR Sports etc. very strange.

On the flip side go round Kensignton, Hampstead etc. and your 15 year old Mercs just happen to look right - have the old money look!
Explains a lot. Us West Country folk haven't been introduced to this yer new fangled plastic technology :eek: :eek: :eek:

John

I think 'old money' speaks very much more than some of the new flash.

People who really have it don't have to shout as much.

I bet your £2K coupe is less than the depreciation some of those suffered in day 1 of their ownership :D

In fairness, the XK8/CLK/90s SL owners probably haven't spent a fortune on their purchases, nice cars still :)

Will

I've said it before, but the relatively huge increase in house prices and the relatively static new car prices have led to the increase in the number of prestiege purchases.

Even though it's not cash in the bank, equity makes people feel wealthier, and eases the path to larger sums on finance as it can be secured on finance without being a big risk to the lender.

I think the biggest reason though is that as a proportion of the cost of buying a house, a really nice car could be considered small beer these days and therefore easier to justify.

Given the current marked, maybe people are deciding to buy a nice car rather than move house. That's exactly what we did a few years ago, on the basis that it's much easier to convert to cash than a house in a tough market, should the need arise.

Down my road, a guy suddenly started wafting around in a brand new Range Rover Sport. He had a few new vans turning up too with guys working for him. After 2 years owning it, it's gone and they've kept their old Freelander instead. Downturn perhaps, or being more sensible with money.

I've said it before, but the relatively huge increase in house prices and the relatively static new car prices have led to the increase in the number of prestiege purchases.

I think the biggest reason though is that as a proportion of the cost of buying a house, a really nice car could be considered small beer these days and therefore easier to justify.quote]

That makes alot of sense, I spose £130k on an Aston when your house is worth 700+ perhaps doesnt seem so extravagent. Conversely we know a couple whose house cost them a couple of million, for which they paid cash :rolleyes: and he drives a Mini Copper S!. Just doesnt seem to match some how. Still Im not jealous really,Im happy with my 2k coupe, its not what it cost's that counts to me, its how it drives and/or looks.

Cheers

My SL managed to get me the "drug dealer" tag amongst the locals as it was the only 129 around here 6 years ago - now there are loads of them :)

I also see quite a few R230s now and the oldest of them cost considerably more than mine cost in its day - so the credit years have made the East end/Essex look more affluent even if its all credit based :)

I don't care as I had always wanted a 129 SL, though it may now give way for a newer one as a 2000ish SL500 is now very affordable without hitting the "silly tax" thats lumped on 2001+ cars. The only reason for a later SL is the greater number of toys and sophistication, as well as adding the unbreakable M119 engine.

I reckon a 2000 SL500 would last me 10 years or more based on the 300

Fact - I cant afford to buy an SL500 outright right now, but the difference in price between my 300 and a much newer 500 is very easily financed with very affordable repayments. This means that I can join the group with the nicer cars on finance :D

I don't care as I had always wanted a 129 SL, though it may now give way for a newer one as a 2000ish SL500 is now very affordable without hitting the "silly tax" thats lumped on 2001+ cars.

I reckon a 2000 SL500 would last me 10 years or more based on the 300

Be aware that later cars are subject to the water based paint issue of rust. we had a member on here(iirc) once with a rusty one.

Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom