Whats your experience with MB diesel cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotnewon96

Car
honda
I am looking to buy a 2015 ML 250 (diesel) or a ML 350 (gas)
The ML 350 is about 5k less expensive but the gas mileage is so much better on the ML 250.
Does anyone have any experience owning a newer MB Diesel car.
Thanks any help would be really appreciated.

Just those damn dpfs can clog up very quickly if you do too many short trips.. regular motorway, a and b road driving should be fine..

Unless you are planning on doing 10,000-15,000 miles annually, stick with petrol engines.

I would also say , Do you have a decent Mercedes knowledgeable garage for any problems ?

WOW ! What a loaded question for your first post , you do realise what you have done , don't you. A bit like asking someone ' So Mister Smith , when did you stop beating your wife ? '
Welcome to the forum , as you live in the USA check out Alex on Legitstreetcars.com (Chicago) he has quite a bit of content on diesel MB's . It seems to depend on which state you live in as to what useless part of the emission system you can legally remove and throw in the trash. So that might sway your decision making. Keep in touch :thumb:

So far so good with our C250d and C220d before that. Mostly local journeys, but average about 10k/year (not in the last year though). Don‘t always drive like Miss Daisy, so the loud pedal does get properly applied from time to time.

Have also owned a Golf TDI since 2011. That went down with a typical clogged EGR valve problem after about four-years of ownership.

None have (so far) had any DPF issues.

I assume that you have a ready supply of used gas powered cars in the US in which case I would suggest buying the gas one. The problem with the diesels of this age is that the emissions control systems and related sensors are the things that go wrong - and they are expensive to fix. The 4 cylinder diesel also suffers from a relatively weak timing chain.
The bad news in the UK is that we were encouraged to buy diesels so much that there are virtually no (exc the V8) petrol models on the used market.
If you decide to go ahead with the diesel I would make sure that you have a repair shop who knows their way around the diesels.

As others stated , DPF is a pain if you only do short trips. Also, had the luxury of diving two brand new e-class and c-class for a couple of days and the mpg doesn't seem they impressive

I've had four v6 E class diesels including my current bus and my mum has previously had a C class and an A class diesel. She currently drives a diesel GLA. We've never had any problems.

We've also owned a number of petrol Mercs between us too so we're not "diesel-centric".

Depends upon lot of driving and uses , AND what's your maintenance budget?
If you like skipping regular maintenance, then you will be in for what Brits call A BIG bloody surprise & I call a wallet flush thinking like an Hispanic dude .
For starters, diesel fuel in the US is not as refined as the UK and quality varies from state to state and between gas pump stations.
A Mom & Pop gas station may not sell too much DERV, whereas a truck shop is selling 1000's of a gallons per day always has fresh fuel.
Fuel realted problems are my biggest customer related business revenues on MB's.

I will emphasize two customer situations.
Paul a retired fire fighter buys an E Class to go neighborhood swanking with the missues running to the grocery store and church on Sundays
After two wallet flush repairs I advised him to buy/trade it for a Lexus LS300 H.
Six months later at Christmas a card saying thanks for the serviced the Lexus you recommended is beyond by wildest dreams.
Thought I would never see that troublesome E Class again in the shop
BUT a year later, in it came for an A/C service
Asking Angela ,how's this car for you? -(Asking Curiously)
"Best car I have ever owned runs like a dream".

"I own a fashion house in Denver and drive to LA at least once month or to NYC, car is great on fuel." I always wanted a Mer See deeze Benz .
"I'm living the dream"
Tuercas Viejas

Depends upon lot of driving and uses , AND what's your maintenance budget?
If you like skipping regular maintenance, then you will be in for what Brits call A BIG bloody surprise & I call a wallet flush thinking like an Hispanic dude .
For starters, diesel fuel in the US is not as refined as the UK and quality varies from state to state and between gas pump stations.
A Mom & Pop gas station may not sell too much DERV, whereas a truck shop is selling 1000's of a gallons per day always has fresh fuel.
Fuel realted problems are my biggest customer related business revenues on MB's.

I will emphasize two customer situations.
Paul a retired fire fighter buys an E Class to go neighborhood swanking with the missues running to the grocery store and church on Sundays
After two wallet flush repairs I advised him to buy/trade it for a Lexus LS300 H.
Six months later at Christmas a card saying thanks for the serviced the Lexus you recommended is beyond by wildest dreams.
Thought I would never see that troublesome E Class again in the shop
BUT a year later, in it came for an A/C service
Asking Angela ,how's this car for you? -(Asking Curiously)
"Best car I have ever owned runs like a dream".

"I own a fashion house in Denver and drive to LA at least once month or to NYC, car is great on fuel." I always wanted a Mer See deeze Benz .
"I'm living the dream"
Tuercas Viejas
I hadn’t picked up that the OP was in the USA. I think I would steer clear of a modern diesel car in the USA due to the varying picture on fuel quality as @Tuercas viejas highlights.

Good update buddy :confused:
The cost of fuel is a bit mute with diesel versus pet-rol debate (gasoline) with fuel & cars in the US.
Currently gas is $2,35 for regular & low sulphur DERV is $2.53 a GALLON--US gallon that is -or Queen Anne gallon if you want to be technical about it !
Only a few months ago petrol was $1,97 a gallon .
Tuercas Viejas

The cost of fuel is a bit mute with diesel versus pet-rol debate (gasoline) with fuel & cars in the US.
Currently gas is $2,35 for regular & low sulphur DERV is $2.53 a GALLON--US gallon that is -or Queen Anne gallon if you want to be technical about it !
Only a few months ago petrol was $1,97 a gallon .
Tuercas Viejas
I was joking , there was no update :confused: .
I would like to thank everyone for their contribution on behalf of the op

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom