What's your gorilla!?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by ChrisEdu, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211
    You know, your BBQ gorilla? :D
    I'm thinking of buying a Weber Genesis II, but like to hear opinions on other options, etc..

2. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    I have only ever owned Weber for the last 40 or so years.

1st was a Kettle which I gave to my son when I upgraded to gas (was about 15 years old).
    2nd was a Spirit elite which I reluctantly sold when I left the Middle East
    3rd and current, I purchased in 2008 - Spirit Elite again - still going strong but could use a new ignitor (which still works but is looking ready to fail). It lives in the garden with only the protection of the plastic cover, gets hit with the pressure washer about once a year and has frequent use year round (bearing in mind that I've lived in warmer climates for most of the last 20 years) and has been 100% reliable.

I've no complaints, AFAIC they are the best buy, even if a bit more expensive tan most but will last you a long time if you take care of it.

3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Active Member

Car:
    S60
    Weber master touch or a good quality alternative kettle BBQ if you're not after spending too much. Plus a smoker box to go with it. Then explore low & slow cooking on indirect heat with the occasional bit of smoking. As an occasional treat, I use this method for a 2kg piece of rump, which I then finish over very hot coals and it's a near religious experience.....

Plus it's an excuse to lurk by the BBQ with a cooler of beer for several lazy hours.... ;)

4. Tramper

Tramper Member

Car:
    E Class
    Gas barbecues, the devils work:eek:

GLK, RonFleet, 190 and 4 others like this.
  5. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Had the previous generation Genesis for about 6 years now. Lives outside in all weathers, gets used in all weathers (one does not cry off steak just because it's -5 outside), all is well.

Rorywquin likes this.
  6. Rorywquin

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    But they make life so much easier.....:)

In my younger days it was a case of finding a good supplier of a decent hardwood, lighting the fire several hours before the BBQ start time so that the wood could burn down to nice coals and then cook (by which time, due to too many beers, we'd usually forgotten about it, and had to wait again after adding more wood (much to the fury of the wives) .

Then came bagged charcoal, usually made with cheap soft wood and even worse are the heat beads with are glued with something and make an unpleasant smell. I've found that the commercial charcoal (soft wood) and heat beads added no value which is why I switched to gas. No clean up either and as I use my BBQ several times a month year round (we do our roasts in the WEBER) not cleaning ashes is a big plus.

If you can source proper hard wood it deffo gives the meat a better flavour but as most people seem to think that sausages and burger patties are a good BBQ.....:wallbash:

Tramper likes this.
  7. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
  8. Tramper

Tramper Member

Car:
    E Class
    Haha I know what you mean, fortunately I have a supply of decent lump wood charcoal and use a Weber chimney to get things going they are brilliant.

9. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Active Member

Car:
    S60
    Find your local South African shop, pretty much all of them sell excellent hardwood now, Sekelbos is a particular favourite of mine. At a bit of a premium mind you, but as a Saffer myself, where BBQ is second only to rugby, it is worth every penny.

10. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    I've recently converted to a Kamado BBQ, way better than gas.

The food takes on the smokey flavour (especially if using wood chips) yet remains very moist as the lid is down.

If you are looking it ain't cooking.

Very fast and easy to light and maintain your chosen temperature for hours on end.

I really don't find it much more inconvenient to gas.

Oldbarrack likes this.
  11. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    John N and Ted like this.
  12. Oldbarrack

Oldbarrack Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65 AMG, S55 AMG, Porche 911 SS Cabrio, E Type Series 1.5, Volvo XC60
    My webber kettle is now well over 30 years old and still has minimal rust; must be one of the last US made ones in the early 80's, as it's as solid and heavy as can be.

I found a place selling spare parts, so renewed the rotting wood handles and, I think, maybe, bought a spare grill; although the original cleans up well still.

My personal favourite is a marinaded lamb on the bone, preferably marinaded overnight, then cook it off centre for about 1.5 hours, often less if the heat is high;
    the meat just falls off the bone, it tastes delightful being on real coals; the Webber Sprint my son uses, gas of course, may as well be under an electric grill for what little extra taste it has.

DrFeelgood likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    ChrisEdu

Car:
    W211
    Anyone got any experience with Broil King?

14. Piff

Piff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian, A207 E250CDi Cabriolet Sport, R171 SLK280
    I bought a Napoleon Triumph 495 a couple of years ago on the basis that you can add a cast iron charcoal tray over a third of the gas burner area. Add charcoal & there is a corner to add smoking chips also.
    Thought I was buying a quality bit of kit which would see me out.
    Trouble is the grill height is not adjustable and the charcoal tray is too close to the food.
    The gas burners are too hot also. First time I used it I had heat set to lowest level, cooked first batch of food & moved it to the higher half shelf to keep warm. Cooked the second batch and found that the first batch had turned to charcoal on the warming shelf:doh:
    Waste of many hundreds of £££:fail:

15. Yex

Yex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63AMG Edition 507 Coupe, Range Rover Evoque
    I had Weber’s for ages and then got given a Jamie Oliver one as a present a few years ago. It’s crap and hasn’t weathered at all well despite being under a decent cover and hidden out of the weather each winter.

Back to Weber next summer :thumb:

Rorywquin likes this.
  16. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    Kamado is ceramic, no rust.

Yex likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    ChrisEdu

Car:
    W211
    Well, look on the bright side - you made yourself some charcoal to use next time! :D

Piff and John N like this.
  18. alzieboy

alzieboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350CDI sport Coupe / VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi
    KFC :doh: Only Joking .

19. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    I have something similar to this although I did NOT pay that price for it but it was the closest picture I could find.

BBQ set - Mini Modern Greek Cypriot Charcoal Barbecue -Small Black

The rotisserie is amazing and takes all the work out of flipping meat, because it's rotating the fat stays on the meat and doesn't drip very much keeping it nice and juicy.

I have the lager motor contacted to a small car battery and I made up some wire mesh which I put on two of the larger skewers for burgers, steaks ect for the kids.

The larger skewers are height adjustable, if the coals are two hot or cold then up can raise or lower them as needed.

Charcoal wise I prefer BIG K - Restaurant Charcoal 15kg as it burns longer and better than the cheap supermarket stuff.

And top tip get yourself a nice insulated hot pot container to put your cooked meat in to keep it hot while you finish of the sausages.

Edit:

I just realised I have put the link to the mini BBQ mine is the larger one.

20. Rorywquin

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    We used to get coffee in massive tins in SA. Cut the bottom out and it made a brilliant fire starter which predated Weber's unit by about 30 years........:)

Quetzalcoatl and chrisk2010 like this.