Whats your gumball car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
Big debate tonight in the pub - what would you choose to do the Gumball?

Fiat 126, Merc CL65 or something in between........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

M5 was popular, and all manner of ferraris and Lambos. all too mainstream for my tastes.......

What would you ride in?

For the actual challenge, (and to be in a chance to win it) i would probably opt for a G55 AMG. BIG beast of a car, with the capacity to support itself. :D

depends if you really want to win it or pose or laugh.

win:- saleen or something like that. buggati veryon even or a McLaren F1.

pose:-anything italian or porsche, or anything just with a roof off and posh bird/bloke next to you.

But I would have to go for the London Route Master That would just kill the oppositon with hysterics. especially when you attempt light up the rear tyres with its 0-60 of 3 days. but just think of the fun you and your mates would have with doing the run in one of them. everyone would be looking. In fact you could offer lifts to to those who break down. and if you put beds on the top deck, the beautiful people will pay to have a kip while you move them down the road a few miles. ;)
Come to think of it, I have a PSV/PCV licence. now if someone wants to organise the bus and the effort, I am happy to drive for free. :D

I learned to drive in a 1957 Leyland job. it was the most fun ever. the bakerlight steering wheel shook from side to side by about 4 inch. And it had no synchro mesh on 1st and 2nd. but once you learned to drive it, it was real driving.

Now all we need is someone to add a Benz angle to this and we are complete.

Having watched a lot of footage, the guy that seemed the most comfortable was a German guy in what was badged a CL3000 - for the Gumball 3000. It was actually a CL500. I think a CL65 would do the job nicely. You need a tourer with near supercar performance, not an out and out supercar.

Having just driven across Europe, it would have to be a chipped CL65 :D

I was actually supprised how much better the CL65 is to drive across Europe in compared to my last trip in the '55.

The V12 makes a big difference, much smoother and effortless with zero noise (other than wind noise)

You also get pretty good mileage to the 88 litre tank ;)

The trouble i've found is can you use all the power and top speed in the event, you'd keep coming up against slower cars and 'normal' traffic! (unless you use the 'Gumball lane' AKA hard shoulder! )

You would want a car that can take your luggage, fall asleep in whilst the others driving, and have a bit of room too, to stretch your legs.

Plus when you get home it would need a front end re-spray with the stone chips!

I'd like to drive it in a Bristol. Preferably a 404.
Bristol 404

Dave Lewis said:
I'd like to drive it in a Bristol. Preferably a 404.
Bristol 404

the bristol fighter may even stand a chance of winning. wish i had remembered that. i want one.

am still up for the bus tho. can we do an MBclub busball rally? or would it be Gumbus?

Would love to do a drive an old Rover P5 V8 1958 (big sofa seats) Still a few about

Maff said:
You would want a car that can take your luggage, fall asleep in whilst the others driving, and have a bit of room too, to stretch your legs.

Plus when you get home it would need a front end re-spray with the stone chips!
You can pretty much rule out anything remotely low-production like the Koenigsegg CC or the Pagani Zonda, as great as they may be they can be prone to failure and out in the middle of nowhere when a radiator melts (Koenigsegg CC in a rally this year!) you struggle to get it fixed. (Koenigsegg sent a man out to see him in a helicopter with a radiator and some tools! ;) )

Last year one guy went through one Ferrari per day due to mechanical failure - so you can basically forget anything Italian too.

Essentially you want something comfy and fairly quick, IIRC the cars that seemed most popular were the porsches, the mercedes and the audi RS6 (which I have seen in Manchester still wearing the stickers! :D ). The RS6 in particular was perfect for the job because of it's performance and luggage-swallowing ability :)

scotth_uk said:
Audi RS6 Estate!
I think you can omit the word "estate" as AFAIK that is the only format :)

SEM said:
Would love to do a drive an old Rover P5 V8 1958 (big sofa seats) Still a few about

Sadly that car would be a miracle as it doesn't exist.

The first P5's built in 1958 were 6 cylinder engines. Also the striaght P5 name signifies it as being a straight 6. The P5B (B for Buick where they got the engine from) came out in 1967.

Sorry but i used to have a 1973 P5B Coupe - one of the last made.....

I'd go for a E400CDI . Discreet enough, low fuel consumption means fewer stops and still fast....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom