What's your most redundant "extra"/function on the car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
It occured to me today that in the 6 years I've owned my E class I have only used the headlight washers twice, and the last time was to spray the monkeys off the front of the car at Longleat. (And yes, I know, what the hell was I doing going through Longleat's Monkey enclosure.)

I think its becasue my car is always clean and so maybe this does not apply to all.

But it got me thinking, there a quite a few things on my car I have used less than half a dozen times.

I have never adjusted the seat using the electric bits and bobs. It slides forward manually which seems to be enough when the dealer moves things to hoover etc. And they certainly never seem to get used on the passenger side.

I never seem to use W on the gearbox :devil:

I have never had casue to use the cruise "Limiter". Played with it a couple of times out of interest but hated it.

Never use the rear headrests down button

Never turn A/c off

Only once turned off the ESP to try and light the rear tyres but it was quite uneventful :eek:

The ashtrays at the rear are for sweet wrappers it seems.

The infra red "all closure" on the key was used in the first week to show off, but never since as I never remember I have it.

Whats your favourite unused option? There must be a few because my car is quite modest. Some of you out there seem to have a flight deck to play with ...

Oh, and I nearly forgot - I have a cassette player :)

Marc

Last edited:
As I don't have any kids, I don't think my rear electric window switches have ever been used (at least not in my ownership). Only time I tried them was on initial inspection to make sure everything works.
I've opened the rear windows from the front though.

I very rarely use the "rest" function on the climate control, but its getting colder now so it may start again.:devil:

I think I only tried out the speed limiter on the cruise control once, but I do use cruise control itself a lot on long journeys.

Must be others too, just cant think of them as they dont get used! But its good to know you have the toys, just in case...

Rear screen heater & ashtray...everything else is regularly functioned...to ensure still working .

Splitpin

SBC Stop :)

John

I see little or no point in cruise control (in the UK at least). Never use the speed limiter either.

Also, the electric rear quarter-light windows - only ever tested on day one.

Tiptronic gear box. I drive an automatic so that I don't have to change gear. Speed limiter: tried it once, didn't like it.

Last edited:
Hi

For me cruise control is probably used most often. Wipers usually on auto, rest button on heater used maybe twice in nearly years and useless, folding mirrors maybe 6 times in 4 and a half years, rear tailgate demister twice in same length of time.
Sunroof, an odd time.

Cigarette lighter, door key, map reading light, 1st 2nd and 3rd gear positions on auto box,centre arm rest in rear, to name a few

folding mirrors maybe 6 times in 4 and a half years

I use this feature every time I lock the car - mainly to provide visual confirmation that I've locked the car - to satisfy my slightly obsessive concern on that front.......

Armrest nokia phone mount. Does'nt work. Makes me want a new car.:(

The most unuseful item in my car is......................................................................... the wife on long journeys. She has other uses though, makes a cracking cup of tea.;):D

Those of you who know her please keep this post secret

Headlamp washer, tiptronic gear box, speed limiter, door key, a/c off button, light switch always on auto as are wipers.

Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom