What's your RPM cruising at top gear at 70mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never cruised at 70, all I know is 3000 RPM @ 90 :D

2500 rpm at 70 for me, hoping to modify the 5th gear soon though and bring that down

I was literally thinking of starting the same thread as this yesterday to see if the extra torque in my Brabus chip affected this.

E350 Coupe 2011 with Brabus D6 III
First is at 70mph (looking like 1,650rpm)

Second is at 80mph (around 1,950rpm)

Attachments

• 70mph.jpg
    70mph.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 80mph.jpg
    80mph.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 107
The slush box does lock up though and is then fixed...surely?

Not quite. It locks-up into the top gear cog ratio but the torque converter provides a variable ratio drive.

Try putting your foot down gently and watch the rev-counter sit at a given rpm whilst you accelerate, you will see it blip as the box swaps cogs.

The motorway is not quite fast enough for the 5-gear E320 to properly lock-up top ratio, if I drop the hammer it will probably pop down two gears - it is quite happy with 60+mph in 2nd...
However if I gently push the throttle it will stay in top, which is the lock-up in operation - for gently poodling around town without slamming into the back of a white van.

p.s. re auto box torque converter, gears and and lock-up (edit timed-out)

If you set the cruise and go up a long hill on the motorway you might hear the throttle open and observe the revs rise a bit - but the speed will remain the same, and be on the same top gear cog. Probably won't hear the throttle open on an MB.

Something I noticed driving a Skoda Octavia (read VW Passat/Audi A-something) down the motorway yesterday. A new diesel company-hire of unknown capacity.

Noisy!
- suspension could have more comfort even with Goodyear 165/65-15 OMG, plenty of sidewall like a set of doughnuts. And that's compared to my MB sports chassis and lo-pro rubber. Squishy handling, ok but rubbery steering.

Cruises at high revs.

Plenty of bottom end but the first time I have had to put my foot to the floor for a long time. All or nothing throttle - nothing, nothing, nothing, bingo!

Brakes very ambitious and fierce in the car park but if you want to stop at a roundabout after coming off the motorway, you need to give them written notice. I've come to appreciate the "soft" MB brakes, really useful for being applied gently and progressively especially when manoeuvring, extremely good for stopping in a hurry.

The Octavia is on the same platform as the Golf/A3/Leon. (Or at least, it used to be).

That said, my 1.8 Zetec Mondeo sits at dot on 3,000 revs at an indicated 70, or 3,500 at 80.

That's interesting, you're right, the saloon has a 2.45 final drive and the estate has a 2.65 final drive.

E320 cdi saloon...

Transmission 7 speed automatic
Top gear ratio 0.73
Final drive ratio 2.47

E320 cdi Estate....

Top gear ratio 0.73
Final drive ratio 2.65

The E280cdi has a 3.27 final drive.....

Top gear ratio 0.73
Final drive ratio 3.27

I get 42mpg at 70mph but only 38mpg at 75mph, if I swapped the rear diff over for one from a saloon I could sit at my preferred 75mph and get 40+ mpg. :D

Whats the final drive ratio on the facelift C Class 7G gearbox on the C220? Where did you find this info? Really useful

I'll have to slow down a bit to find out....... :D

Checked this morning, my ML320 is doing around 2600 at 70mph (Satnav readout so relatively accurate)

2600 in the Z

Just to give an idea of other engines, I did this test in a 1.9 DCi Renault Trafic of mine and it was 1900rpm at 70 mph in top (6th) gear.

My B180 CDi with a CVT 'box does about 1750 at 70 on the flat and 2000 when going uphill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom