Whats your strategy for year 2030 / ban of ICE vehicles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riva811

Car
CL500 Blueefficiency
I am tempted to get a new vehicle and keep it for another 7-10 years. However, regulation for 2030 makes me think twice:
  1. A big tax for ICE vehicles will surely show up
  2. The cars will be worthless unless a classic
  3. Current electric vehicles and charging stations suck / innefficient
  4. Performance Hybrids are almost non existent
Thoughts?

I think a watch and see approach at the moment.

I mean, fine, if you spend (in actual costs and depreciation) £20k+ on a car every 3 years, then why not go electric now because you can get fuel at (simplification) untaxed energy prices.

But some of us are much poorer, so, as a poorer, past engineer from a power generation/manufacturing/infrastructure company (you will all have heard of), I can only wait and see with no other option.

Major question marks for me around the whole electric car thing are:
- Massive (child) slave labour for battery raw materials (but people can reconcile their clean conscious because they are 'green').
- Untaxed electric which need to make up for fuel duty will need to be an increase of £1-2k per driving adult per household (based on 12k miles a year).
- The electrical generating capacity in the UK is on the verge of blackouts, so how will it keep up with rising electric demand for massively power hungry cars without? answer;
- A big rise in fossil fuels to generate electricity for all of the 'green' cars, at which point we get to the major elephant in the room;
- The physical electricity distribution infrastructure is creaking at the seams and I don't expect will be able to cope with 10% pure EV car ownership. Let alone a total ICE ban.

So to understand this we have to start to interrogate the politics behind any dubious decisions pushed to us by government, at which point this becomes a forum off topic subject so I will stop there.

I mean, fine, if you spend (in actual costs and depreciation) £20k+ on a car every 3 years, then why not go electric now because you can get fuel at (simplification) untaxed energy prices.

But some of us are much poorer, so, as a poorer, past engineer from a power generation/manufacturing/infrastructure company (you will all have heard of), I can only wait and see with no other option.

Major question marks for me around the whole electric car thing are:
- Massive (child) slave labour for battery raw materials (but people can reconcile their clean conscious because they are 'green').
- Untaxed electric which need to make up for fuel duty will need to be an increase of £1-2k per driving adult per household (based on 12k miles a year).
- The electrical generating capacity in the UK is on the verge of blackouts, so how will it keep up with rising electric demand for massively power hungry cars without? answer;
- A big rise in fossil fuels to generate electricity for all of the 'green' cars, at which point we get to the major elephant in the room;
- The physical electricity distribution infrastructure is creaking at the seams and I don't expect will be able to cope with 10% pure EV car ownership. Let alone a total ICE ban.

So to understand this we have to start to interrogate the politics behind any dubious decisions pushed to us by government, at which point this becomes a forum off topic subject so I will stop there.

Yeah I guess its more of a just live today, worry about it when the time comes. All cars depreciate anyway. Either way, you really think legislation around this will make any sense after all those things you already mentioned? :)

Get an EV now and enjoy the low running costs/cheap electricity for at least the next few years… ;)

Now virtually retired, I simply couldn’t justify or afford the outlay for a new EV.
Constantly canvassing customers at work over the past nine months, I’m way less than convinced local Joe average has in any way been converted either. A rich mans vehicle is the popular perception at ground level it would seem. 🤔

Get yourself a nice classic for a fraction of the price of a useable EV and sit back and enjoy whilst watching it go up in value. The extra tax and fuel duty will be a drop in the ocean compared to the depreciation of an EV. Do the sums, you know it makes sense. Regards, the unconverted 😇.

PS, i think there's going to be a big u turn on this one.

I’m not convinced a strategy is needed. Just enjoy driving the cars you would like to drive. There’s relative choice and freedom at the moment so enjoy it.

Last edited:
I am tempted to get a new vehicle and keep it for another 7-10 years. However, regulation for 2030 makes me think twice:
Thoughts?

What sort of performance are you after? AMG EQ Power Hybrid at 816 PS is not enough. Perhaps Lewis can give you his car now that they change for the next season.

Actually they are rare and even if the total power is comparable to ICE:s, the battery weight seems to make hybrids slower (comparing S580 with S580e). A bit odd when EV:s are fast (to accelerate).

I fully understand the comments on here regarding EVs.

As I mentioned before, I think they do a great job of improving air quality in city centres and eliminating preventable disease and premature death. For this reason alone EVs get a big thumbs-up from me.

But hailing them as the great green alternative that will save the planet is disingenuous. The only green option is to have less cars, and drive them less.

But it will take a very brave politician to try and get elected on the "car austerity" card, because the illusive goal of "green consumerism" sounds so much better to voters.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

Operating on the assumption that 2030 will see a ban on sales of new ICE cars and not an outright ban on all, I will be keeping my conventional car(s) for as long as humanly possible.

To your points:

1. Maybe, but it will depend on the government of the day following through on the plan 'as written'. I'm not convinced they will and besides, another tax will upset a huge amount of people.
2. I don't care - I didn't buy my car to worry about selling it in the future, I bought it to drive. In fact I plan to swap to another V8 before 2030 and hope to keep that well into the next decade.
3. 100% agree here, for the kind of journey's I make and the way I make them, the whole EV proposition is terrible. If I drive 700 miles from my home to the French Alps, I don't want to stop every 250 miles for more than an hour to charge up - huge amount of wasted time.
4. True - at least until the new C63 right? :)

Ditto - I’ll drive my existing vehicles as long as I can (from a physical ability & reliability of the car perspective), let the early adobters pay for the learning curve on EVs with all the battery, charging point & range issues and hopefully by 2030 (I’ll be pushing 80 & hopefully still alive) there will be something sensibly priced that does the job.

I mentioned elsewhere that my son is taking delivery in May of a Taycan to replace his E53 and he is saying that he will have to use the family Q8 to do trips to their subsidiaries that are further away......:(:rolleyes: Go figure - ticking his eco warrior box with the Taycan but doing long trips (solo) is a huge diesel powered SUV.

I though the ban was just on the sale of pure ICE's and that hybrids would be OK.

I'm working on the assumption that I'll have something hybrid for distances and maybe something electric for the local stuff.

Thoughts?
Purchase a classic v8 amg and enjoy.

What sort of performance are you after? AMG EQ Power Hybrid at 816 PS is not enough. Perhaps Lewis can give you his car now that they change for the next season.

Actually they are rare and even if the total power is comparable to ICE:s, the battery weight seems to make hybrids slower (comparing S580 with S580e). A bit odd when EV:s are fast (to accelerate).
well it might have the horse power but it looks like sh*t. I was thinking pure electric EQs for a minute. Well, where are those 816PS hybrids? last time I checked the GT73 does 7miles range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom