Whats your strategy for year 2030 / ban of ICE vehicles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
100k 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
and pensioners can have 25k tax free
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😍😍
Get real FFS

A couple of years back I drove a good friend and neighbours brand new Model S around the Island and was undeniably impressed. Staggeringly quick and impressively good to drive it cost him a smidge under £100,000 with his chosen spec. IMO that vehicle IS worth that kind of money and I understand the reasons behind his choice.

I think that for most people no vehicle is actually worth that kind of money.

The other issue is that as you spend more money above a threshgold (eg. £30K / £35K for a ICE and maybe £45K for an EV) you only get small increments in actual added value for larger price increments.

Features that might distinguish expensive cars such as AC, power steering, disk brakes, ABS, turbochargers, entertainment systems, satnavs, electric windows, central locking, whatever are considered standard. The car manufacturers brazenly maintain standard platforms and parts bins that are shared across products that may be priced along a qide spectrum.

I think that for most people no vehicle is actually worth that kind of money.

The other issue is that as you spend more money above a threshgold (eg. £30K / £35K for a ICE and maybe £45K for an EV) you only get small increments in actual added value for larger price increments.

True, but the financial picture changes when the car is sourced on a business lease.

And while a business lease is not an option for everyone, I suspect that the majority of cars in this price bracket - and the majority of Model-S and Model-X on our roads - started their life on a business lease.

0% BIK (the rate in 2018) for a high-tax-rate earner was a massive saving on tax, and an incentive 'to go wild', or definitely to lease a more expensive car than they otherwise would. The BIK on EVs is currently still only 1%....

Last edited:
Can't beat cruising in a classic in the sun with the roof down. Who cares about bhp.
Imagine doing the same in an EV. No exhaust fumes, no unnecessary noise,making you few even closer to the world around you. Who cares about ICE.

Yes... but which one? :D
Easy, purchase £100k worth and thank me later TGR -

I have purchased recently in the 60's Tirupati Graphite

1640791171220.png

Imagine doing the same in an EV. No exhaust fumes, no unnecessary noise,making you few even closer to the world around you. Who cares about ICE.

Not to everyone's taste, it would seem... given the number of people who actually fit loud exhausts to their cars or bikes.

What obligatory black boxes?
These?

"Though the UK is no longer in the EU, it has been confirmed that the UK will still utilise the technology."

These?

"Though the UK is no longer in the EU, it has been confirmed that the UK will still utilise the technology."

"You can override the system by pressing hard on the accelerator, but the system will reactivate every time the car is started. However, the speed limiter will send haptic, audio and visual warnings until you start driving within the speed limits. Many manufacturers have already started including factory-fitted ISA in some of their cars such as Citroen, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Peugeot, Renault and Volvo. Renault Group also confirmed that all upcoming Renault and Citroen cars will have a top speed of 112 mph to increase safety."

But it's not an EV issue as such - it applies to all new vehicles?

But it's not an EV issue as such - it applies to all new vehicles?
I was simply replying to the question of what I believe was meant by "black boxes"

Yes, it will apply to all new vehicles, irrespective of motive power

These?

I’ve not owned a car without a speed limiter for donkey’s ears.

Hardly worthy of a sinister sounding ‘black box’ that our awkward squad member wants us to believe.

Ok I'll give you the lack of service requirements, what about the crazy depreciation. My SL is on the up and the Jag was worth didly squat a couple of year ago, now thats on the up. To sum up, over the last 15 years i have spent a total of 9k for 2 cars plus services, i think i am quids in and will soon get my money back minus inflation.
What Jaaag do you have??

Hardly worthy of a sinister sounding ‘black box’ that our awkward squad member wants us to believe.

Either way, how do you put forward an argument against a system that makes it more difficult for drivers to commit a driving offence?

Neither have I but these new boxes will limit the car to the speed limit for the road travelled (using GPS, no I don't see how this can be accurate in all situations..) , not just the top speed.

What Jaaag do you have??
Not mine, the bosses, she loves it , i just service it.
2003 X Type 2ltr petrol auto.
Mint condition 145k on it.
Why would I want to replace it with an EV euro box that would cost us at least 40 times the worth of the Jaaaaag

My main objection to SWMBO's convertible is the wind noise and the tyre noise. You don't get to hear the engine much outside of urban areas - and in urban areas you get other cars' exhaust rather than your own.

(My other gripe about SWMBO's converible is the risk of getting sunburn when you drop the roof and spend any time in it on a sunny day).

And then we have drag .... a convertible with the roof down tends to be quite draggy.

Convertibles are stupid. (SWMBO ignores me on this)

What Jaaag do you have??
Toying with getting an XKR 06-07 Rag top to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom