Whats your strategy for year 2030 / ban of ICE vehicles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been to Yorkshire safari Park today and they even had charging points there i was quite shocked tbh

I've been to Yorkshire safari Park today and they even had charging points there i was quite shocked tbh
They were probably free too lol

Edit: they are not.. unusual! The ones at Tesco etc are free, same with my local shopping centres.

There's none at our Tesco's or Asda we have 2 at Costa though

If your strategy is to buy an EV in the form of a Smart Forfour EQ then you had better pull your finger out. Depending upon the source it seems that they have either recently stopped - or are about to stop - production of the Forfour but will continue with the Fortwo.

If you really want one you may be able to find a new car in stock. I bought mine when I found out that production of the petrol model had stopped, but managed to find one already built - there was a choice of colours and specs but they went quite quickly.

I quite fancy one and thought I might buy one in 2022, but it’s a little early right now but I’ll watch what happens in the next few months. Until Saturday the last time I did a journey which I couldn’t my have used a Forfour EQ for was in September, despite having an 80 mile range.

Note: I’ve actually covered a touch more than 80 miles on a couple of occasions during that time but those were purely for fun and weren’t actually going anywhere - we could therefore have driven a slightly shorter route without any real compromise at all.

What is the issue with subsidies?

National infrastructure and very large scale change is expensive, and Government have always met the cost. Subsidies help to share that cost with industry and individuals, which is better than the alternative, ie meeting the full cost or not having that National infrastructure or change at all.
They are not always a good thing. Here’s a view on it, from the USA but the issues are the same.

Reactions: 190
Is it worth buying your own premises?

A pal of mine did this using his pension fund. Free from the tyranny of landlords forever and an asset to boot.
I believe he pays rent to himself, well, his pension.
Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Over 50 years ago when the business started, rent was so cheap and it wasn’t worth buying (or so I’m told). Now the modest building would cost millions And of course rent is through the roof 😫

I’m hoping central London rents have peaked as we don’t want to move.

So an EV made perfect sense for me. I’m glad I am not contributing to decreased air quality in cities - BTW before you say about the electricity coming from fossil fuels Tesla have promised to power all supercharger stations with renewable energy… and my home electricity provider is also the same. 👍

The "power all supercharger stations with renewable energy" is a bit misleading - just like the domestic tarriffs that make the same claims. It's all down to words. The grid is effectivly a pool of supply and you get your supply from the pool.

It might have some meaning if the supply for those on 'renewable' contracts always died when the wind stopped blowing.

And as regards 'decreased air quality in cities' then my view is that the issue with supposed air qiual;ity issues in our cities isn't that the air quality has been dropping so much as the standards against which they are judged have been changed.

A bigger real world factor will have been the deindustrialisation and elimination in the use of coal which has been forgotten as the significant changes go back to the 1960s and 70s.

The "power all supercharger stations with renewable energy" is a bit misleading - just like the domestic tarriffs that make the same claims. It's all down to words. The grid is effectivly a pool of supply and you get your supply from the pool.

It might have some meaning if the supply for those on 'renewable' contracts always died when the wind stopped blowing.

And as regards 'decreased air quality in cities' then my view is that the issue with supposed air qiual;ity issues in our cities isn't that the air quality has been dropping so much as the standards against which they are judged have been changed.

A bigger real world factor will have been the deindustrialisation and elimination in the use of coal which has been forgotten as the significant changes go back to the 1960s and 70s.
Of course but the idea is that renewables supply into the ‘pool’ to offset the usage amount isn’t it? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway air quality is a massive issue in larger cities, just try going for a walk in a central london street and the smell of diesel fumes is 🤮

How many people do 1000km without stopping at all though? 🤷‍♂️
1000km is about the same range as a good diesel. Its not so much the stopping, its how long you have to stop for. Plus, park wherever there is a space and you still have the balance of your range. An EV needs more frequent and longer stops at precise places. At present the best EV if driven cautiously at a constant 50mph with no ancillaries on youll get 300m. Then a mandatory stop for who knows how long! Stop in a diesel for a pee and more fuel, circa 10 mins. Plus a diesel range is not hugely affected by the type of driving. I think the OP is right, get the range up to match a diesel and they become a lot more attractive. Then get the price down to match ICE and away we go....

Why indeed.....?
Much the same as having your own place to eat, sleep and live. Its kept how you want it, clean and tidy free from ‘others’ bodily fluids, grime, dirt, disease etc. Plus its there, ready to use when you want it.

Well that’s all crazy electric this and that bullshi live in cornwall for a week at lands end where I am 3 miles from a pint of milk ten miles after 8 o’clock only two charge points at lands end so if it’s flat after a power cut frequently happens screwed is what you are an people that don’t have credit can’t get a new car of any sort if they can park it near there house not very often will mean a 200 meter cable to charge the piece of crap and we all know the uk has a damp problem after time electrics fail 2016 Reno Zoe fills chassis with water not good an needs new drive train after 20 thousand miles over 4 years two identical Zoe’s have the same problem soz Reno there shir

Well that’s all crazy electric this and that bullshi live in cornwall for a week at lands end where I am 3 miles from a pint of milk ten miles after 8 o’clock only two charge points at lands end so if it’s flat after a power cut frequently happens screwed is what you are an people that don’t have credit can’t get a new car of any sort if they can park it near there house not very often will mean a 200 meter cable to charge the piece of crap and we all know the uk has a damp problem after time electrics fail 2016 Reno Zoe fills chassis with water not good an needs new drive train after 20 thousand miles over 4 years two identical Zoe’s have the same problem soz Reno there shir
Too long to read without full stops or paragraphs.

1000km is about the same range as a good diesel. Its not so much the stopping, its how long you have to stop for. Plus, park wherever there is a space and you still have the balance of your range. An EV needs more frequent and longer stops at precise places. At present the best EV if driven cautiously at a constant 50mph with no ancillaries on youll get 300m. Then a mandatory stop for who knows how long! Stop in a diesel for a pee and more fuel, circa 10 mins. Plus a diesel range is not hugely affected by the type of driving. I think the OP is right, get the range up to match a diesel and they become a lot more attractive. Then get the price down to match ICE and away we go....
The point still stands how many people drive 1000km non-stop then step for 10 mins and continue another 1000km… 🤷‍♂️

I am tempted to get a new vehicle and keep it for another 7-10 years. However, regulation for 2030 makes me think twice:
  1. A big tax for ICE vehicles will surely show up
  2. The cars will be worthless unless a classic
  3. Current electric vehicles and charging stations suck / innefficient
  4. Performance Hybrids are almost non existent
Thoughts?
My opinion is that electric vehicles are like energy saving light bulbs we we all forced into. Inferior to what came before and will be superceded by the bet technology (LED) both are very political and driven by vested interests and money not common sense and science.
The obvious short term solution is to move existing petrol cars over to 100% methanol converting them (methanol has half of the calories than petrol, hence the issues with E10). Immediate reduction in pollution and renewable also uses the existing infrastructure then move to hydrogen. Neither have been considered by the government, why?
The government wants to end car ownership and electric cars fit this well as controlled by the manufacturer and government. This in the future will decide when you can travel, how fast, what route and charge you for the privilege.
I hope to keep my 2006 C280 going as long as possible.

Of course but the idea is that renewables supply into the ‘pool’ to offset the usage amount isn’t it? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway air quality is a massive issue in larger cities, just try going for a walk in a central london street and the smell of diesel fumes is 🤮
You must be walking behind a bus. I’ve worked and lived up there for 30 years and never noticed 🤷‍♂️ And I’m right on Oxford st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom