Whats your strategy for year 2030 / ban of ICE vehicles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The point still stands how many people drive 1000km non-stop then step for 10 mins and continue another 1000km… 🤷‍♂️
Anyone travelling through Europe on holiday. Coaches with more than one driver etc. I do approx twice per year. Wife and I share the driving. A few years ago I did Geneva and back three times in a week. Couldnt have done this in an EV. Ive yet to see a charging point on a ferry or the chunnel either.

Besides with an EV its a mandatory lengthy stop after somewhere less than 300 miles.

Reading through the last four pages to catch up. Two things strike me;

I’ve met MarkJay on a few occasions and know him to be a balanced, fair and intelligent person. I’m sure if anyone felt he was ‘policing’ anything, it was unintentional on his part. I don’t necessarily agree with some of his points but he articulates them well in a constructive manner.

There is an awful lot of discussion, some heated, about the relative merits and shortcomings of EV’s. What im left with is if they were viable and comparable to ICE’s then we wouldnt be having this discussion at all. As it is, they aren’t and we are!

Last edited:
No disrespect to any AMG owners on here, but for me, cars lost their soul when fuel injection became mandatory due to emissions regulations.... nothing (on four wheels) comes close to the sound of two (or three) twin Weber 45 DCOE carbs sucking air through K&N filters at full throttle... when they banned them, that was (for me) the day the car died.

My old 383ci Chevy with 50mm 8 stack...... and fuel injected 😜😜
FB_IMG_1580375994287.jpg

The op question was, what is your strategy, people have posted theirs but for some reason others try to dissuade them with an argument. Not really the answer to the question 😇
A fair point, although I have found the discussion interesting.

My strategy would be to change to electric when funds allow for local journeys, which would suit me fine (probably about 95% of all the journeys I currently do), and keep the SL for as long as I can for weekends or until I get bored with it. It would be no hardship to do longer journeys in it if necessary!

And that's it!

Anyone travelling through Europe on holiday. Coaches with more than one driver etc. I do approx twice per year. Wife and I share the driving. A few years ago I did Geneva and back three times in a week. Couldnt have done this in an EV. Ive yet to see a charging point on a ferry or the chunnel either.

Besides with an EV its a mandatory lengthy stop after somewhere less than 300 miles.
I think you’ll find that these sorts of driving patterns represent a very very small proportion of drivers.

19EBAED7-78C8-4966-8149-1B913E5582CB.jpeg

Surprisingly impressive sales of the Model 3 in the U.K in 2021.

Hi Bobby Dazzler , for the diesel cat it was my accountant and for the petrol car it was the Mayors of United Kingdom.
Oh, @Boyband Why do you do what people tell you to do? For enlightenment, one's own mind is surely the greatest.

What's scary is given the (published) reliability of the modern Mini, that so many are sold.
Suppose it's the 3 year PCP with Maintenance package.

A Tsunami of work for local garages in 4 years time then (if you believe the internet)

A small EV (mini?) for town with a weekly charge of its 150 mile range lightweight and a run out EU15 or whatever ICE for longer / bigger journeys will see me out.

I wonder at what stage the decline in petrol stations will accelerate (20282 to 2035?)

What's scary is given the (published) reliability of the modern Mini, that so many are sold.
Suppose it's the 3 year PCP with Maintenance package.

A Tsunami of work for local garages in 4 years time then (if you believe the internet)

A small EV (mini?) for town with a weekly charge of its 150 mile range lightweight and a run out EU15 or whatever ICE for longer / bigger journeys will see me out.

I wonder at what stage the decline in petrol stations will accelerate (20282 to 2035?)

There seems to be no correlation between reliability and market share. Tesla and Volvo are good examples of popular marques who are regularly at the bottom of every reliability table. As are Land Rover Jaguar. And Lexus, who are usually at the top, seem to have only a modest following among UK buyers. MB are typically somewhere in the middle of the table, and yet here we are, owning one.....

And Lexus, who are usually at the top, seem to have only a modest following among UK buyers

Maybe the product just isn't that attractive.

RR have had a not so great rep and yet RRs are desirable to many people. SWMBO knows the apalling workshop history of the last family owned RR and yet would still try and presuade me to go for one.

Very surprised by that... hadn't realised! The end is nigh... 😄
Almost certainly due to the bulk of new car registrations in the UK being dominated by company car purchase and the consequence of EV tax benefit in kind implications of same. The Tesla model three is targeted at that specific market sector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom