Whats your strategy for year 2030 / ban of ICE vehicles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just back from shopping centre, lot's of traffic as usual on a Saturday, only 3 EVs on the road. Its really taking off, NOT 😇

Whatever makes you happy.
Possibly indicative of the type of people that spend Saturdays at shopping centres.

type of people that spend Saturdays at shopping centres.
Most of the working population i would think, families with mortgages and kids trying to fit in two jobs each to pay the bills, the ones that are in the real world.

What you getting, besides getting ripped off 😇
I posted a photo of the car in the factory earlier in the thread, not sure about being ripped off though, could sell next week for more than I paid and could even sell the Mrs Volvo for more than we paid when new 12 months ago.

Most of the working population i would think, families with mortgages and kids trying to fit in two jobs each to pay the bills, the ones that are in the real world.
Online shopping

Great news but don't do it, you will be waiting another 6 months.
LOL, I enquired about my next one yesterday when the salesman called and he is talking 2 years!

Maybe the product just isn't that attractive.

RR have had a not so great rep and yet RRs are desirable to many people. SWMBO knows the apalling workshop history of the last family owned RR and yet would still try and presuade me to go for one.

If poor reliability doesn’t have a detrimental affect on sales, then sadly there's little incentive for car manufacturers to build more reliable cars (other than their cost of fixing issues under warranty).

Are people going to throw away their lithium -ion powered mobile phones,laptops, power drills,vacuum cleaners etc etc etc or is their lithium--cobalt different from EV batteries ;) -- I know their batteries are smaller but currently there's a lot more of them-- or are the people who raise this completely valid criticism of EV batteries guilty of "selective indignation " What You Should Know About the Cobalt in Your Smartphone

Are Cobalt-free batteries the way forward?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We should keep in mind that much of what an EV is today, is modelled after Elon Musk's vision from 15 years ago. Car manufacturers by and large just copied what Tesla did. All modern EVs are essentially based on the Tesla design philosophy.

In this context, it is worth noting that Elon Musk's first EV was based on standard laptop batteries stacked-up together, simply because this was an available technology and at the time he didn't have the time or money to invent everything from new (he also used the Lotus/Vauxhall GM chassis instead of actually designing a new car).

The Lithium-ion batteries found in EVs today are all direct descendants of Elon's experiment with laptop batteries. Some fresh thinking might bring us new battery tech, better suited for EVs.

Maybe we should consider another Victorian technology- steam!
This can be multi fuel as if you don’t believe in climate change you can use coal, and if you do you can still use it as an EV as you just need to fit an immersion heater to run off your battery.
By topping up with boiling water at the motorway services you reduce the amount of electricity you need to charge it with, thus reducing range anxiety.
You can also have a hot cup of tea whilst you are driving, assuming it uses the latest in autopilot technology (Wife 1.0). 😀

Maybe we should consider another Victorian technology- steam!
This can be multi fuel as if you don’t believe in climate change you can use coal, and if you do you can still use it as an EV as you just need to fit an immersion heater to run off your battery.
By topping up with boiling water at the motorway services you reduce the amount of electricity you need to charge it with, thus reducing range anxiety.
You can also have a hot cup of tea whilst you are driving, assuming it uses the latest in autopilot technology (Wife 1.0). 😀

Steam isn't such a bad idea. Nuclear power plants use steam turbines to generate electricity.

I think you’ll find that these sorts of driving patterns represent a very very small proportion of drivers.
Indeed but the question really should be who is happy with an overnight stop or at best an hours stop after every sub 300 mile stint of a longer journey. Lots of EV’s struggle to do 200 miles. So unless you use a motorway fast charger in which case your 600 mile journey will have at least three hours in a motorway service station, added to it, itll be a three day journey !

The op question was, what is your strategy, people have posted theirs but for some reason others try to dissuade them with an argument. Not really the answer to the question 😇
My strategy is to downsize now I’m virtually retired to a smaller vehicle, I’ve been contemplating a number of options, probably an R171, the look of which I’ve admired for years. An EV has never remotely figured as I find them completely soulless and boring to drive. Living where I do, you’d think that with its population and physical size the Island would be full of EV’s, when in fact there are relatively few. 55 might be nice 🤔🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom