What's your view on this diagnosis....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpwuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 BlueTEC W212
My CLK has developed a noise coming from the n/s rear wheel area. It's only noticable when travelling at 50+ mph or when cornering hardish around a round-about. At first I thought it was the wheel bearing but the wheel bearing was replaced 11 months ago. So I took it back to the place that replaced the bearing thinking that if it's the bearing then they'll just swap it out, free of charge, however they claim the noise is caused by a "worn hub centre slipping in wheel bearing".

Does that make sense to anyone? If so, please enlighten me! :)

If the old, failed bearing has worn the hub then I guess it could be true.. I've had the opposite were a seal failed and wore a bigger hole so a new seal still had an oil leak. Hope that makes sense.

Wouldn't that normally be picked up when doing the bearing the last time?

My CLK has developed a noise coming from the n/s rear wheel area. It's only noticable when travelling at 50+ mph or when cornering hardish around a round-about. At first I thought it was the wheel bearing but the wheel bearing was replaced 11 months ago. So I took it back to the place that replaced the bearing thinking that if it's the bearing then they'll just swap it out, free of charge, however they claim the noise is caused by a "worn hub centre slipping in wheel bearing".

They would say that...

Taken into consideration that the half shaft is not only tight in the hub and bearing and is tightened up with a nut to 280nm I doubt is your garage wants to fix it because they can be a real swine.

I doubt a worn hub center would give enough movement to make a noise at those speeds, more like a worn wheel bearing.

Would a worn hub cause the bearing to wear prematurely? Is it a big job to put right Ian?

Would a worn hub cause the bearing to wear prematurely? Is it a big job to put right Ian?
In my opinion no, a worn hub would not cause the bearing to fail. To repair, I prefer to remove the hub from the car and press it out properly. Takes a good 3 hours. Others may do it quicker, but I like to get it right.

Thanks Ian...what's more cost effective, a new hub or repairing the existing one?

Thanks Ian...what's more cost effective, a new hub or repairing the existing one?
Repair the existing one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom