Wheel alignment / geometry at main dealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

npuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
Can anyone tell me if wheel alignment and geometry setup is done free at MB main dealers if the car is still within the 3yr manufacturers warranty? If not does anyone know how much roughly the main dealers charge?

Also read from 2000 onwards they didnt fit the adjuster bolts so without these I take it the wheel alignment can be done but if the geometry needs adjusting it cant be done until the bolts are fitted?

The two front tyres were replaced last month and they were worn in the centre whilst the edges still had some tread. Also I am getting a pulling to the left. From reading other posts I assume this is down to the geometry needing adjusting.

Edit: Local main dealer have just told me it is not covered and they charge £125+ vat! I doubt that includes the adjuster bolts. I will contact Wheels In Motion for a price as well.

Has anyone here had their alignment and geometry done free under the 3yr manufacturers warranty?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I guess it would be if something wrong was suspected (uneven tyre wear, pulling to one side etc.)

But I doubt they would be willing to do it free without good cause. They'd maybe refund if a fault was found.

I think it cost £280 when our ML was done at the main dealer.

If the tyre wear is in the centre of the tyre this meens the tyre pressures are too high.

Hi,
Got a quote from an Indy near me 1hrs labour, +20mins per adjustment needed, I believe he was quoting from the book, he has the MB recommended kit for doing the job, in fact his kit is better (newer) than the Southampton Main MB Dealer's.
Last time i had mine done it was done on a system that can check and adjust the rear wheels too, they fitted the bolts as well though i did have to supply them.

Wear in the centre cannot be a problem geometrically, this is a pressure issue. Warranty for the chassis positions could be a little as 1000 miles from new!! The pulling problem, when did this evolve? has it only been since the tyres where fitted?

Thanks for all the info. I guess the previous owner had over inflated the front tyres. When they were replaced last month I checked all the pressures were as listed on the fuel flap. I had the rear tyres moved to the front and the two new ones fitted on the back.

The pulling to the left was there before the tyres were changed but I had read it was common with MB cars.

Thanks for all the info. I guess the previous owner had over inflated the front tyres. When they were replaced last month I checked all the pressures were as listed on the fuel flap. I had the rear tyres moved to the front and the two new ones fitted on the back.

The pulling to the left was there before the tyres were changed but I had read it was common with MB cars.

As above really - have a lot of complaints regarding 'pulling to the left' this is typically due to the natural camber of roads, not typically a fault with the car. Try the middle lane of the motorway or another flat surface see if the pulls then.

Your tyre pressures sound over inflated also.
Dealers only typically cover geometry under warranty if tyre wear is worn excessively and uneven & after inspection is deamed that tyre pressures are not at fault & the wheel geometry is out of alignment.

IIRC as well (IF you have a 168/169 A class), if adjusting the front geometry other than just a simple tracking adjustment... camber can be adjusted without the need for camber adjustment kit (bolts). As the A class uses a standard FWD suspension setup where camber is adjusted at the bottom of the strut & stub axle.

All cars in country's that use a road crown are prone to an "eventual drift", most manufacturers in each given country offer a trial distance, albeit 20yds or 100yds, if the car fails within this distance the owner has cause for complaint.

To my knowledge MB has not released data for the trial distance so in the UK it's deemed as a "reasonable distance before deviation", personally i think this is pants because the evaluation is opinionated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom