Wheel alignment HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pachanga 231

Car
E280 cdi sport 2007
hi merc w211 front tyres have worn right down on the inside and are splitting on the edge!! The outside still have decent tread. Anyways some suspension parts replaced and new pirelli P7s on i now need to get it tracked.

Local ATS do 4wheel alignment for 65£ 2 wheel for 45£- do you guys recommend ATS.
Im in nelson lancashire if anyone can recommend. Some guys offer tracking for 20£ whats the difference.

Various methods are described to encourage you to resolve tyre wear or handling issues, additionally members in forums are keen to advise but often fall victim to the same miss-information, read carefully and stay ahead of 'alignment the big con'

Tracking/Alignment

Is linear, this measurement shows no concern for any other angle. This form of measurement is the most common in the World and the most damaging.

Angles measured 1

Four wheel Alignment

Uses the rear wheels as a scale to centre the steering rack.... then the front toe..... this is better but is assuming the rear is centred.

Angles measured 2

Four wheel Laser Alignment

Same as above.... be wise!

Geometry/Primary

Will image the exact rear centre line to permit a centred steering wheel.. additionally the front and rear camber positions will be measured. This is the most common form of Geometry and i consider this as 'basic'

Angles measured 8

Full Geometry/primary and Secondary

Is absolute but harder to understand. Few places even with the equipment measure the Secondary angles, these include...

Castor

KPI/SJI/SAI

Scrub radius

included angle

TOOT/Ackerman

Delta curve

and so on

Most areas that involve rapid tyre wear or handling issues need to be read from the 'Secondary' data, even more important if the car has been modified or for diagnostics after an accident.

Angles measured 15+

You need a full geometry.

Thanks guys for the advice but i don't have time to drive to Chesham. In the end local ATS did the computerised front/rear alignment and showed me on screen all the settings etc. The tracking adjusted fine and is now where it should be. Was told the camber/toe was out and they tried to make adjustments but for the fear of breaking adjustments threads/bolts they left it.

Sorry, must have missed this post.

For future reference, Nigel Lang's Garage in Bolton have a Hunter machine and, most importantly, a bloke who knows how to use it. They also carry stock of most camber bolts, so no worries about breaking anything.

They did my 190E last year and did a brilliant job.

I agree....in fact they were one of my "trusted centers" and would often call if there was a problem which to me is a good sign of customer care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom