Wheel alignment report- What does the panel think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DrNick

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL500
I had this report yesterday on the alignment of my 2007 E 320CDi. This is the after report.
The technician was able to adjust the toe to get everything lined up (which was my original request due to having a ball joint replaced a while ago with the result that the steering wheel wasn't centred any more.)
However, it appears that the camber is out all over and he wasn't sure why this would be. He had even rung Mercedes to check these figures as he was concerned about them.
Car has had an easy life with no known damage issues with 60k on the clock - its been in the family since new.
Car has passed an MOT at Mercedes within the last two weeks and has also been looked at by a local garage for a slight grumbling from the front left hand side when turning right, from which no obvious fault could be discerned, other than "possibly" noise from the steering rack, but no obvious suspension issues. (Not conclusive, but basically the suspension is not about to fall apart)

Thoughts I've had
1) Its measured against the wrong spec and is in fact ok.
2) Suspension parts are worn all over and needs a complete rebuild!
3) Springs have gone soft resulting in everything sagging

What I don't know is if these numbers are wildly outside any sensible range, and what are the likely consequences of it?

Any comments?

Attachments

• Alighnment001.jpg
    Alighnment001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 56
First thought is get the ride heights checked.

Hard to say without knowing the target figures.
Personally, I'd rather see toes out on the back, just a tad.
And I'd be most concerned about the difference in front camber LH to RH.

Toe Figures at the nearside rear might indicate some worn suspension arm bushes. How's the tyre wear? If the tyres are worn unevenly it will be impossible to get accurate readings on the suspension as the treads will have "compensated " for the worn suspension over time.

Tyres are new all round (less than 1000 miles probably)

My previous S211 E280 CDI went to WIM in Chesham Bucks when it had about 80K on the clock. It was wearing the inside edges of the front tyres dramatically. The main cause of this was incorrect camber on the front wheels, this being adjusted by fitting Mercedes supplied eccentric bolts. Cured the problem. My car had never been involved in an accident but according to those in the 'know' (WIM) Mercedes chassis and geometry is critical and normal wear and tear will make it go out of tolerance and require adjustment.

If you're anywhere near WIM at Chesham give them a call.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom