Wheel alignment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a C200 Elegance and immediately I found that there is some vibration at the steering wheel irrespective of the speed. I send the car to a garage and they told me I need to change the front tyres and carry out wheel balancing. Since they only have one tyre left, they used the spare tyre temporarily. No vibration, the steering was centre.

When the tyre came, they replaced the spare tyre and fitted the new one. No vibration, but the steering pulling to the left.

Conclusion : Does the problem lie with the new tyre or the balancing?

Alignment

After getting new track rod ends fitted I took my Mercedes to Premier Tyres who charged me £24 to do the tracking :D Hope that helps :D

Premier Tyres £24 for wheel alignment :)

Tracking is different to full four wheel alignment. If the car only needed tracking then OK, but you wouldn't know unless it goes on a four wheel rig.

Oh well, another 5-year old thread back to the top.. :eek: :D

Mercedes BMW and Audi VW all have to be weighed and aligned that's why it is expensive it takes about 3 hours to do it correctly and you will notice the difference afterwards. But instead of going to Mercedes go to anywhere where they weigh the car down and then align it by using the bolt on method.

If the company is reputable then they will be okay, and ask them before having the work done do they have a satisfaction limit i.e. if the car still wonders will they do it again or will they fob you off and pay using your credit card as it will be covered if the work is not done right.

After you collect your car drive it 10-15 miles fast slow b roads duel carriage ways and motor ways if you’re not satisfied straight away go back demand it to be done again or you want your money back.

If they refuse immediately contact your credit card company and explain to them what has happened.

Wheel alignment is a serious business; don’t except second best demand quality pay for quality!!

Unlike most German marques the MB doesn't require the suspension to be pre-loaded. Reason being the angle of the front wishbone and drive shafts is input to the datum allowing a specific geometry target for that cars body trim height.

BMW/ Audi require pre-loading so that the suspension is at a moment within bump and droop. I personally think this is wrong because natural coil sag would mean the damper is more inclined to be in droop?..... It's all very subjective but the MB way is better in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom