Wheel arch corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garethh

Car
98 CLK 320 C200 Sport Estate
My 98 CLk 320 has corrosion on near side front wheel arch, what is the chance of Mobilife warranty to get this fixed ?
Thanks
Gareth

On a '98 car, I'd say nil unless it's a very late car (post 22nd Nov). even then I'd say slim.

I used a mobile spray guy who fixed both my wheelarches, ie ground off the rust, treated it and sprayed the arches into the rear wings and he did an excellent job...cost £125 and you can't tell its been done and that was 9 months ago.

If you are in the Reading area then let me know and I can give you his number.

Pop your reg number and make into HERE to find the date of registration.

Hi Chaps,

I found rust on the bottom of 3 of the 4 passenger doors, I had a word with Chyrsler Daimler Mobilo life and they had me take the car into Main Dealers, they inspected the car around the rust with a bit of kit which tells them if it's had any paint other than what was there when it left the factory, took some pics and within 10 days cars was booked in for repair under warranty:bannana: . My cars a 2001 C200K estate.

I have now found the starting of more rust in the rear wheel arches looks like it's started beneath the plastic mouldings:( , I am going to try again an see if I can get this sorted under warrany.

Have a go you not know until you try!

Elkesprint

My 1999 w202 has just had the wheelarches done using Mobilo, but it took a bit of a fight.

My 98 CLk 320 has corrosion on near side front wheel arch, what is the chance of Mobilife warranty to get this fixed ?
Thanks
Gareth
The obvious question is "Is your car still covered by the Mobilo Warranty?" or was it ecer covered.

I would very respectfully suggest we are really talking about a goodwill repair on a 10 year old car?

REgards
John

The obvious question is "Is your car still covered by the Mobilo Warranty?" or was it ecer covered.

I would very respectfully suggest we are really talking about a goodwill repair on a 10 year old car?

REgards
John

here we go, goodwill, warranty call, it what you like, does it matter. i'd say nearly all the "warranty" repairs done on mercedes are "goodwill" if you follow the strict wording i.e. perforation of the panel from the inside out, and this cover on a 1998 car lasts for 30yrs (although you will probably have to have it serviced by MB after 6yrs (newer car have a different type of corrosion cover, called the same, but is part of a long term care package, given free each time you have a service at MB, clever?)I got some corrosion sorted last year on my C230k, new wings, doors repaired, rear arches etc. none was that bad and it hadn't had an MB service for 3 years, in fact i have serviced it myself, so it is worth a try getting MBUK to pay for the repairs, goodwil or warranty makes no difference if they pay!

Thanks All,
I am going to MB this week I will let you know how I grt on?
Gareth.

I just had a claim for corrosion knocked back on a 1999 S430 - because car is to old....so, not sure if it will do any good, but sent a 2 page whinge letter to MB head office spouting on about 30 year anti-corrosion warranty etc.

Will see how I get on. But I'm not holding my breath

Mark

I just had a claim for corrosion knocked back on a 1999 S430 - because car is to old....so, not sure if it will do any good, but sent a 2 page whinge letter to MB head office spouting on about 30 year anti-corrosion warranty etc.

Will see how I get on. But I'm not holding my breath

Mark

Ive always said (under a different user name! i didn't know you weren't supposed to put your real name there) that the best way to get bodywork repairs done is to write to MBUK (i think that is what they are called now) tell them politely that you love your Mercedes but are concerned about the quality of the paint work and the subsequent corrosion, they will write back to you and your local dealer, so when you arrive at your local they will already know of the case. has worked every time for me.

I took my CLK (2000) in to MB Leicester just before Christmas. They took photos of the rust on the rear arches and boot lid, photocopied my service booklet, and said I should hear by the end of January. I haven't heard anything yet, but if they say no, what should I do next? My car has full MB history from new.

I took my CLK (2000) in to MB Leicester just before Christmas. They took photos of the rust on the rear arches and boot lid, photocopied my service booklet, and said I should hear by the end of January. I haven't heard anything yet, but if they say no, what should I do next? My car has full MB history from new.

Take it up with milton keynes.

The whole system is ridiculous. They have two guys over there in MK that look at very poor digital pics of the damage and are programmed to say "NO".

arch rust repairs

my v reg c200 estate started rusting under the arches and the back door handle. took it to mb watford. lovely lass there took some photos, checked for previous paint work repairs and had a look at my (mostly stealership services) service record. rang back a few days later , booked the car in and had it repaired ...all within three weeks i think it was! as i recall, she said they cover cars registered after july 1998...i was very impressed and had some faith in mb restored.

if they refuse, approach mb uk directly...

cheers

I haven't heard anything yet, but if they say no, what should I do next? My car has full MB history from new.

Try giving them a ring to see if there is any progress.

Try giving them a ring to see if there is any progress.

I will if I haven't heard by the end of the month. I guess if the answer's no, then contacting MB at Milton Keynes is the next step?

A quick update, I received a phonecall yesterday from MB, my claim for the rust repair has been approved. Happy days! :cool:

The earliest I can get it done though is 31st March! I guess there are a few rusty mercs out there...

Congratulations!

I'd love to get mine done, it's late '98 (November) and so should be covered, but has not got a full MBSH, and over the last 3/4 years or so has been taken to indie's without much attention paid to the handbook at all.

I'll still give it a go though if the pannels are covered for 30 years. Does anyone have the address to write to? An idea of what you put in the letters would be good too, see how many old rust buckets we can breath new life into!

Mines actually late '98 as well and again unfortunately it doesnt have FMBSH either. Have you had anly luck with getting to Mercedes and getting them to have a look or even agree to rapairing your car! Im thinking of trying my luck as well :D, as you said lets see how many old rust buckets we can breathe new life into!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom