Wheel arch rim rust protector/cover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1998c280estate

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Can anyone help? I've just finished treating the surface rust on the inside lip of the wheel arch on all 4 wings of my 1998 C280 Estate/T (W202). Luckily it hadn't spread from the turned-under lip of the wing around the wheel arch (only visible when looking up with the wheel off). It was a lot of work to fix (strip, Kurust, primer, topcoat, laquer), but now they all look perfect. I've seen protective plastic strips on Lexus LS400 which slide over this vulnerable edge covering it completely and protect it from the stones etc which get thrown at it. Does anyone know if anyone makes them, or can I adapt some, to fit a W202? I've had this car from new (1998) and don't want to have to go through this again (the rest of the body is rust-free). Thanks![/FONT]

Thanks for the details. I have the same problem and have some Kurust and a touch up kit that I could do the same with. Isn't the problem more water-related than stone chips though? And a guard would only keep water in that had seeped in, so maybe making it worse?

Glad you got a good result - gives me hope.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]It was a lot of work to fix (strip, Kurust, primer, topcoat, laquer), [[/FONT]/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would have bothered with lacquer in an 'invisible' location like this. Would that be bad?

I hope you've treated BEHIND the lip, Waxoyl or Ankor wax or even grease

Thanks for the responses!

Taking the points raised:

I guess it's a combination of water and stones/grit/salt that causes this part of the car to rust dramatically, when the rest of the (11-year old) body is pretty much rust-free. It's probably why they fit the big plastic wheel arch protectors over the whole of the inner wings.

The guards I saw on the two 14/15 year old high mileage Lexus LS400s seemed to be working perfectly - there was no sign of rust or paint damage anywhere on the wing edges.

Yep, the area behind the lip got the same treatment.

I used laquer as just another protective surface, not for looks. Hopefully it will help seal the paint from the hostile environment down there.

If I can't find any protective covers/guards like the Lexuses had, I plan to coat the lip with waxoyl or other underbody protection (it won't be seen). But I'd rather do that and then slide the protective covers on top of the freshly waxoyled lip. That would surely stop any rust from reappearing under the guard and protect the lip forever?

I wonder if I could get some guards off a dismantled Lexus at a breakers to see if they can be made to fit?

The biggest job must have been cleaning and drying behind the lip, I would have thought?

Have you thought about using something like Stoneguard? You spray it on after the primer and before the paint. It gives a textured finish and being rubbery gives protection from stones. I'm going to do it on my car which coincidently is a 98 C280 estate!

Thanks for the posts.

Cleaning behind the lip was horrible - I got covered in muck. I do not want to do that again.

As I've finished all the painting, it's presumably too late for Stoneguard (if it has to go on before the paint).

Incidentally, when I removed the large plastic wheel arch internal protective covers in the front arches, I found a solid mass (11-years' worth) of wet leaves and crud packed behind the cover down near the sill by the footwell. They must have come in between the windscreen/scuttle and the hood and become trapped at the bottom. I urge everyone to unscrew the lower fixings holding your cover to the footwell/sill, pull the edge of the cover forward and check yours (takes a minute, though easier with the wheel off - take care you don't break the side repeater light clips, as I did, as they are very fragile - easiest to pop them out first). I'm amazed there wasn't any rust beneath the crud.

Found these which I might try: E-Tech Wheel Arch Protectors at £8.59 plus VAT and delivery each from needforspeed.co.uk (I tried to include the link here but it keeps failing). Also there's a Lexus LS400 being broken not far away I might try to get the guards off. Again, I'd use these on top of a thick coat of waxoyl, and plaster more waxoyl on top of the fitted guard, where it's not seen. That should protect everything?

These E-Tech guards will only fit the front arches, as the rear arches have the inner lip folded back against the body, so there's nothing to attach a guard to. They still rust though! Dunno how to attach anything to protect them, so will probably just Waxoyl them (what about a coat of clear external silicone sealant from Wickes?).

Also, there are the short exposed lips of the body side panels which extend into the arches (front and rear) and form the vertical section of the arch, which also need protecting, as they were very rusty, and are very visible.

Stoneguard is good, as long as you PROPERLY de-rust first. But DONT fit plastic covers,long term you would regret it as they harbour moisture thereby accelerating the rust.

:bannana: Sherwood Forest GTG Sunday December 13th, 12 noon :bannana:
All welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom