wheel bearing replace of tighten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigdom1957

Car
mercedes 220d cdi
hi i have a 2015 c220 cdi , mot says slight movent in wheeel bearing , looking at youtube they do replaceing , i dont know if my car is a split pin and nut that you can torque then re pin or that nut with alan key lock system ,i saw the clock gauge on loading it , but as i know how to change a wheel bearing thats if i need to , cars got 20k on clock so maybe just needs a tighten me ide take it of have a look at surfaces to see grey shadeing if clear repack and tighten up making sure its also free , but please if you have done this please let me know ,

Afaik you have slight free play to allow for heat expansion.

Should be able to repack and nip up. I wanted to do this to mine but couldn't get the chuffin hub centre cap off.

Rule of thumb seems to be nip up Slightly until wheel wont turn .then back off slightly until it does.

right guys thanks for the info , hardcore is that your wife in the avatar

i dont know if my car is a split pin and nut that you can torque then re pin or that nut with alan key lock system

MB's have the nut which can be clamped tight on the thread with an Allen key rather than the spit pin. It's a good system being infinitely adjustable rather than only in steps.

The fronts on my w204 needed about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn tighter at 120k miles. Mark where it starts with a dab of paint and on mine I could feel there was no resistance to tightening at first. Keep spinning the wheel while tightening until you feel resistance then a tiny bit more and see if there’s any play left. The proper procedure needs a dial gauge I think. If you over tighten then the bearing will run hot and eventually seize / fail.

Backing off the pads a tad makes it easier to feel for play and free running. I'd rather they ran a little loose than tight.

hi i have a 2015 c220 cdi , mot says slight movent in wheeel bearing , looking at youtube they do replaceing , i dont know if my car is a split pin and nut that you can torque then re pin or that nut with alan key lock system ,i saw the clock gauge on loading it , but as i know how to change a wheel bearing thats if i need to , cars got 20k on clock so maybe just needs a tighten me ide take it of have a look at surfaces to see grey shadeing if clear repack and tighten up making sure its also free , but please if you have done this please let me know ,

I am assuming your MB warranty has expired?

Even if it has you should not experience wheel bearing problems at such a low mileage, possibly worth discussing with your local dealer?

My W211 had slight play at around 130,000 miles - I just greased and nipped them up. Do leave room for expansion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom