Wheel bearings or sticky brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Dear Techies,

I feel like i'm on a bit of roll so I'm trying to solve another problem with my trusty VW.

The car recently developed a very audible background whirring noise while the car is moving, it also pulls to one side. Alignment I thought - turned out to be fine.

It pulls to the left, so I checked the front passenger wheel and I noticed that it is

a) heavy to turn by hand, it will turn but stop immediately once I let go. It doesn't continue to roll like the other wheels.

b) when i would set it in motion either way, i would hear a very pronounced mechanical metal click, almost as if the bearing is knackered, but hey that's just what I think, i'm no mechanic.

I do also have a very nasty squeak upon braking and it gets much louder if I brake while reversing, so I think this may be a separate issue

Any thoughts?

Remove the front pads so that you are able to check if the wheel then rotates freely and able check to see if the pads have been worn down due to binding.

Last edited:
Ok I've noticed that both rear/front wheels on the passenger side are the heavy ones... does this suggest something with the braking system?

I've had a quick search and it seems polo's suffer from collapse brake hoses... but before I go changing hoses could this be a cylinder thing if its happening on the same side of the car?

update:

Now I know that both front wheels are very (Equally) stiff. only one of the rears (passenger side) is stiff also, but i have a feeling that this may be due to the rusty callipers.

I'm thinking to take off the brakes and see if i can move the piston, then release the hoses and try again? Won't this test whether the brake lines are at fault or something bigger like the servo/ master cylinder?

It does sound like it has a seized brake caliper.

Remove the caliper and see if the piston mooves freely.

The brake hose could also be collapsed. Common on Fords might be the same on VW's :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom