Wheel bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRBC43AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 1999 C43 AMG saloon "Grandma" (sold), Ultima Sports Can-Am (sold)
View attachment 26027Certain of my wheel bolts where starting to rust seriously. Removed all 20 and greased them in my small parts washer, brushed them all around on a revolving wire brush, cleaned them again with some nitro solvent cleaner and gave them 2 coats of zinc/alu paint. Says that the zinc/alu paint does not need a primer base. Baked them 1h in the oven at 60°c and now I think they look decent and ready for a new winter. :)

Attachments

• MB wheel bolts 2 light.jpg
    MB wheel bolts 2 light.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Erm ... aren't those the bolts that have a stainless steel end cap (which obviously doesn't rust)?

E.g. the one on the right below:

wheelbolts.jpg

off to do mine in a while

hi

thanks for the pics and procedures and i have 2 questions for you

1: whats the name of the zinc/alu paint you used

2. what did you mount them on while in the oven, ( don't want to ruin wife's pride and joy with bits from my pride and joy :):):) ).

thanks in advance

brendan

Erm ... aren't those the bolts that have a stainless steel end cap (which obviously doesn't rust)?

Yes, they are the stainless steel topped bolts and even if they don't rust (normally), never mind for the paint on top.

hi

thanks for the pics and procedures and i have 2 questions for you

1: whats the name of the zinc/alu paint you used

2. what did you mount them on while in the oven, ( don't want to ruin wife's pride and joy with bits from my pride and joy :):):) ).

thanks in advance

brendan

Sorry, I don't have the can available until I get back home later tonight. In any case, it will be most likely a local make considering where I live (see my profile details). I mounted the bolts on a cardboard box. Heated at 60°c will not get the support burning and I had no "secondary effects" in the oven. So your wife can remain happy with her pride and joy, even if she may see it differently :D
I imagine a block of wood with some holes drilled to the diameter of the bolts should be also a good solution and more sturdy than cardboard.

I guess it depends on which particular wheels you have, but on my SL you can only see the top of each bolt so the stainless 'capped' ones (which you can't get any more) are great.

The standard ones on the Vito are starting to rust though so I'll have to do something about those :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom