Wheel bolts

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by DRBC43AMG, Oct 1, 2011.

1. DRBC43AMG

DRBC43AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Switzerland, Sion (VS), the canton of mountains, w
    Car:
    99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1, Ultima Sports Can-Am
    View attachment 26027 Certain of my wheel bolts where starting to rust seriously. Removed all 20 and greased them in my small parts washer, brushed them all around on a revolving wire brush, cleaned them again with some nitro solvent cleaner and gave them 2 coats of zinc/alu paint. Says that the zinc/alu paint does not need a primer base. Baked them 1h in the oven at 60°c and now I think they look decent and ready for a new winter. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    4 people like this.
  2. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Erm ... aren't those the bolts that have a stainless steel end cap (which obviously doesn't rust)?

E.g. the one on the right below:

[​IMG]

3. brens-e200

brens-e200 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1990 230E W124, 1992 C124 220E
    off to do mine in a while

hi

thanks for the pics and procedures and i have 2 questions for you

1: whats the name of the zinc/alu paint you used

2. what did you mount them on while in the oven, ( don't want to ruin wife's pride and joy with bits from my pride and joy :):):) ).

thanks in advance

brendan

4. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

DRBC43AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Switzerland, Sion (VS), the canton of mountains, w
    Car:
    99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1, Ultima Sports Can-Am
    Yes, they are the stainless steel topped bolts and even if they don't rust (normally), never mind for the paint on top.

Sorry, I don't have the can available until I get back home later tonight. In any case, it will be most likely a local make considering where I live (see my profile details). I mounted the bolts on a cardboard box. Heated at 60°c will not get the support burning and I had no "secondary effects" in the oven. So your wife can remain happy with her pride and joy, even if she may see it differently :D
    I imagine a block of wood with some holes drilled to the diameter of the bolts should be also a good solution and more sturdy than cardboard.

5. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    I guess it depends on which particular wheels you have, but on my SL you can only see the top of each bolt so the stainless 'capped' ones (which you can't get any more) are great.

The standard ones on the Vito are starting to rust though so I'll have to do something about those :(

Tags: