1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] Wheel change Tyre Pressure Monitors?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by effbee584, Mar 7, 2012.

1. effbee584

effbee584 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
    My car has the system that shows the actual tyre pressure, so imagine there is something on/in each wheel that transmits to the car.
    If I fit different wheels, (eg smaller wheels with winter tyres) I assume the Tyre Pressure Monitors are not transferrable, and I would be left with a non-working system.
    Question is - Would that be an MOT fail?
    Any thoughts please.

2. aka$h

aka$h Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
    Hi,

I checked your vehicle from the details you sent via PM. Your car does not have tyre pressure monitors as a factory option. If you can however see the tyre pressure reading it must have been retro fitted.

Could you take a photo of the tyre valve on your current wheel and upload it.

1 person likes this.
  3. npuk

npuk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
    If you get the actual typres pressure value on the instrument clsuter then yes there will be a TPM sensor on the alloy. You can get these for the new alloys. You can have the system turned off via STAR alternativley.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/option/tpm_sensors

1 person likes this.
  4. rjw55amg

rjw55amg New Member

Car:
    SL63 AMG
    I have in the past swapped TPMS sensors from one set of wheels to another with no problems.
    However, when I recently replaced all 4 because they stopped working....limited lifespan....switching them "off" in the computer was not an option, I was told, and would be an MOT fail, if the warning light was showing on the dash.
    When fitting new sensors you need to re-programme them to the car.....and don't leave the old sensors in the car because they will send a false signal to the monitor....

1 person likes this.
  5. cl55 amg

cl55 amg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL55 AMG
    I might be wrong but I am sure Costco do them for about £40 a wheel..

1 person likes this.
  6. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    i moved my tpms sensors onto my 19`s no problem, i use different wheels for my winter tyres and i get an error after a few miles driving as they do not have tyre pressure sensors in them, each sensor is about £90 for the w211.

i doubt it will effect your mot

1 person likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    effbee584

Car:
    aka$h Thanks for replying to me. The valve looks normal to me, basic black rubber with a cap.
    Not worth bothering you any further. My confusion comes about because the TPMS is selectable on/off in the display, and does indeed say its 'Active' when I select it, but no sign of any actual pressures diagram.
    TPMS is not included on the build list I have for the car, and I see that it was an option (475 £240), I'll assume its not fitted at all, just that the car is 'ready' for it.
    I also assume that the sensors are built inside some special valves, is that right? If so I imagine they could be fitted next time the tyres are changed.
    Thanks very much for your help.

* Just read several replies explaining the valve sitaution, thanks to all for being so helpful*

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  8. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Just to help you, here's the High Line TPM:

Firstly the valve:
    [​IMG]

And here's the inside:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. aka$h

aka$h Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
    Your car must have a "run flat indicator", (it givens u the option the restart by pressing +) this is taken using the information from the wheel speed sensors, and is done by the pick up on the hub. You wont have an issue after swapping the wheels

1 person likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    effbee584

Car:
    Thanks to all the replies and information.
    I have concluded that TPMS is probably something I can live without, perhaps prone to disinformation, and a potential MOT fail.
    I'll close this thread now.
    Thanks again, really great assistance, as always on this excellent forum. We would struggle without it.