Wheel cleaner in bulk...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrLCA

Car
2011 C250 CDI
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me please.

I've tried many different wheel cleaners over the last few months and have found that the ones that colour change seem to be the most efficient at cleaning my wheels. Many different brands seem to do the same thing so I wonder if it's just the same stuff but put in a different bottle? The prices vary wildly.

My question is, as I seem to use half a bottle every time I wash the car, is there a more cost effective way to buy this stuff? Maybe I'm using too much? I'm normally guilt of using too much product!

Thanks,

Lawrence

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me please.

I've tried many different wheel cleaners over the last few months and have found that the ones that colour change seem to be the most efficient at cleaning my wheels. Many different brands seem to do the same thing so I wonder if it's just the same stuff but put in a different bottle? The prices vary wildly.

My question is, as I seem to use half a bottle every time I wash the car, is there a more cost effective way to buy this stuff? Maybe I'm using too much? I'm normally guilt of using too much product!

Thanks,

Lawrence
Take a look at Dragon's Breath. I bought 5L some time ago and it was good for many dirty wheels. Maybe not so easy to find as some others so postage might be an additional cost.

I bought a 5L tub of Auto finesse (non acid) wheel cleaner a few months ago , when I just did my summer/winter wheel swap and cleaned the insides of the removed wheels (which hadn’t been cleaned inside for 6 months :eek: )
it took all the dirt off incredibly well .
it performed as well as the acid based wonder wheels which I had previously used .
A coat of Chemical guys wheel wax , or Poorboys wheel wax and normal washing every couple of weeks .

I recently purchased this. There was also a discount code to go with ith that brought it down by andother 5.20.....worked out far cheaper in the long run.

Sonax here, but i dont get thru that much, i waxed my wheels and the brake dust and filth washes off easily, every couple of months a sonax and twice a year i take them off and clean/rewax on the bench. i have used 1l in 14 months of the sonax but 2 squirters of wax.

Low dust brake pads negates the use of such products .
Tried EBC Greens on one of my other cars and can't say I was that impressed with the advertised reduction of brake dust. Also tried EBC Reds on a track car I used to own but you had to get some heat into them to work nicely.

Any recommendations.

Cheers for your thoughts guys. Any pros or cons on using acidic cleaners over non-acidic?

EZ Car Care - Viper 5L - highly recommended

EZ Car Care - Viper 5L - highly recommended
Use it, like it.

As W1ghty points out - clean (properly) your alloys and seal (use proper wheel sealer due to heat soak). Subsequent washes will be easier.

BH auto Wheel is probably the best wheel cleaner that I have used and can be bought it bulk
However, you dont need to use it at full concentration every wash.

BH AUTO WHEEL can be diluted 50/50 for maintenance washing on a weekly basis then use at full strength once a month or so depending mileage.

Also another way is to use a good quality pure shampoo in a foamer for maintenance washing and then use a fallout remover Once a month.

It also helps if you use a citrus prewash on the wheels then rinse before any contact. Or use a good quality snow foam.

BH auto Wheel is probably the best wheel cleaner that I have used and can be bought it bulk
However, you dont need to use it at full concentration every wash.

BH AUTO WHEEL can be diluted 50/50 for maintenance washing on a weekly basis then use at full strength once a month or so depending mileage.

Also another way is to use a good quality pure shampoo in a foamer for maintenance washing and then use a fallout remover Once a month.

It also helps if you use a citrus prewash on the wheels then rinse before any contact. Or use a good quality snow foam.
I'm pretty new to the detailing game. I usually wash my wheels first to make sure all the dirty works done first and then snowfoam the car, rinse, contact wash (2 bucket), towel dry and then finish all the glass. (Will compound, polish and wax if I have time)

I'm always looking at ways to speed up the process so would you say foam the whole car first and then do the wheels?

Loads of good info guys thank you very much.

There are plenty of methods buddy, and I've tried them all,
Depending on the soiling rate of the car.
If you have a good Snowfoam that has long dwell time you can apply that to the car, and let it dwell while working on your wheels.
Many people clean the wheels and tyres first then do the bodywork, but you then end up with all the dirty rinse water, shampoo foam residue all over the wheels again so then have to rinse them down again.. if the wheels are in good order, you can simply spray the wheel with a diluted wheel cleaner, then foam the whole car and wheels in one go.

Leave to dwell for 10 mins or so then rinse down again, and you'll be surprised how clean your wheels are without even touching them.

Wash and dry your paintwork, then finish of your wheels with the remaining shampoo and a good wheel brush, EZ detail wheel brushes for the barrels, soft detailing brush for the spokes and faces.

If however your wheels are extremely bad, then do them first, esp the tyres with some APC and firm brush.

There are so may methods buddy, it's really what works for you.

As for the 2 bucket method. Well that's another debate lol

I'm not sure which brand you are using but i have found BH autowheel gives me the best bang for my buck.

I have tried Auto finesse and a few other brands but always returned to using Bilt Hamber as it gives me the best result overall and i hate a shed full of products that i don't use.

How much to use as a few have said really depends on how often they are being cleaned and how dirty they are i think Lee has covered all the bases for you with his advice.

I have tried a few dilutions and 50/50 is about as far as i would take it for weekly cleaning but even without diluting a light spray on each wheel, leave to dwell, agitate and wash off should be all that's needed with BH autowheel without diluting.

Maybe consider looking into a good wheel sealant to make future washes a bit easier but you would need to remove the wheels, clean and prepare them before applying in the same way you would the body work by chemically treating, cleaning, claying, polishing, wipe down with IPA and seal to get the best from it.

Hi
I use ValetPro Bilberry wheel cleaner, buy it in 5L containers and dilute as required/as per instructions, apply with hand pump spray, 5L lasts for ages.

I use VP Bilberry too but find or think it is the cause of a reaction between the steel MB type dust cap and the valve stem. Am in the middle of just trying it on one side.
Otherwise a good cleaner..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom