Wheel cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Looking for recommendations for wheel cleaners, the inner wheel well on my GLE are BLACK looks like previous owner never cleaned them.

Gave good scrubb with shampoo & nylon brush, shifted perhaps 60 % of the crap. Thinking it's going to need product but something that's not going to strip any paint/laquor.

Recommendations for something widely available, Halfords perhaps...

Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner is amazing. Failing that, Meguiars wheel cleaner from Halfords is almost as good.

I’ve recently used Auto finesse Iron Out as a wheel cleaner and that’s astonishing. It works out quite expensive but for a once a month deep clean it sure shifts the muck and very little agitation required, just a blast with the hose.

Sounds like you need an iron fallout remover

I’ve recently used Auto finesse Iron Out as a wheel cleaner and that’s astonishing. It works out quite expensive but for a once a month deep clean it sure shifts the muck and very little agitation required, just a blast with the hose.

Forgot to mention - Iron Out is available from Halfords

I'd take the wheel off, get it in the shower, and do an iron remover, then rinse/quick wash. A spray of WD40 and work around with a soft brush plus quick wash, then another iron remover, and a final all purpose cleaner, before sealing/waxing, and putting back on the car.

I've just done this, and it was amazing how much iron and road tar came off. The reason for the double iron remover is 1st treatment gets rid of the bulk, and exposes load of tar, then once the tar is removed, you can then be sure you're iron free. A faff, but very clean, waxed wheels are dead easy to clean next time.

Don't laugh, but for my waxing I use a furniture polish in a spray can that has a decent beeswax content. Because it's cheap, and super easy to apply after each clean. It washes off with each wash, but it's sacrificial and seems to work great. Only tried it because it was lying around, and a can has lasted me ages.

I removed my wheels a week or so ago to give them a proper clean and found as a general wheel cleaner Car Plan Demon Wheels is pretty good.
Using a soft brush to agitate the cleaner into the spokes and hard to reach places and hosed off I then used Auto Finess Iron Out for a final decontamintion, then washed off with shampoo/hot water and hosed clean.

Waxed both faces with Megs liquid wax and sealed with Auto Glym wheel sealant. Far easier to clean when I washed them again yesterday.
Demon wheels available from The Range, BM, Halfords etc and it goes a long way for the price. Extremely good at removing stubborn brake dust.

https://www.therange.co.uk/leisure/...4Ss6AIVh6ztCh17MAA5EAQYASABEgLwa_D_BwE#888672

Normally wash down with warm water and then a good coating of tar remover , usually works quite well.

Waxed both faces with Megs liquid wax and sealed with Auto Glym wheel sealant.
Did you apply the sealant over the wax? I wouldn't have thought it would adhere?

Ditto - buy 5L bottles it works out a lot cheaper and I use it every wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom