Wheel couriers - worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yellowbentines

Car
w211 E220 CDI estate, previously w203 C180K
Hi all

I'm close to privately buying a set of new wheels, and wondered if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with wheel couriers, and if they're worth the money.

I've looked at one I found on ebay and they sub-contract all work out, then you have to pay extra for insurance, so I'm thinking what's the benefit of using them over say DHL or UPS or similar?

Cheers.

I used one the other day, total cost for 4 wheels delivered was £27. So worth the money? Yes. Their communication was not good though and the wheels were delivered by DHL, so why not try direct.

They use DHL, i have an account with parcel2go.com

If you go direct to DHL they are twice the price

Parcel2go are good we ship 30 items a week with them

I've looked on the parcel 2 go website and you need to know the weight, i'm buying privately and wouldn't imagine an 18" x 9" wheel with tyre could be weighed on domestic scales very easily, any ideas?!!

That's not a bad price - wheel/tyres are normally between £7.50-£9 each

Hi all

I'm close to privately buying a set of new wheels, and wondered if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with wheel couriers, and if they're worth the money.

I've looked at one I found on ebay and they sub-contract all work out, then you have to pay extra for insurance, so I'm thinking what's the benefit of using them over say DHL or UPS or similar?

Cheers.

I used one from Glasgow to Winchester a couple of years ago - he was very good - good service and I think next day - he collected from the seller and delivered to me - although as you say I think the delivery was sub contracted to one of the majors
I could also phone him and discuss
It is a pity I cannot remember his name - I found him on EBay - the price was very reasonable
I will try to find details in my saved emails
The seller did wrap them very well - I think shrink wrap

Insist on quality and substantial packaging prior to shipping whichever courier co you decide to use...they all have handling problems, invariably using carousel sortation systems...we have all seen these in operation at airports...!!!!

I've looked on the parcel 2 go website and you need to know the weight, i'm buying privately and wouldn't imagine an 18" x 9" wheel with tyre could be weighed on domestic scales very easily, any ideas?!!

You can bypass inputting the weight. All they want to establish is that it doesnt exceed the maximums allowed for the particular service.
18x9 wheel with tyre would be around 27kg, and 60x60x30cm

Stand on the scales and weigh yourself.
Now stand on the scales while holding the wheels.
The difference is the weight of the wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom