Wheel dilemma for c63 W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Galactus

Car
C63 AMG PPP Estate
Hello knowledgable people!

I am looking at a set of BBS LM replicas for my c63 w204 and came across a set that I like, they are 19x8.5 et 40 (fronts) and 19x 9.5 et 40 (rears), I know standard ets are 45 and 54 but there seems to be plenty of clearance from the arch with this offset. Would the wheels I am looking at rub in anyway (even with a full load)?

Alternatively I can go for 19x8.5 all round too. Would prefer the staggered if they fit though. Your help is greatly appreciated as no matter how much I search I cannot get a definitive view on this.

You got a definitive view on facebook group already? LOL.
19x9.5 ET 40 will work but 255s tyres only.
Depending on sidewall of certain tyres, might rub on full load.
But its equivalent to 20mm spacer on oem wheels.

Go to the Wheels, Tyres Brakes & Suspension sub-forum and see the first two Stickies.

You got a definitive view on facebook group already? LOL.
19x9.5 ET 40 will work but 255s tyres only.
Depending on sidewall of certain tyres, might rub on full load.
But its equivalent to 20mm spacer on oem wheels.

Haha yes it did indeed, I put them both up at around the same time. Looks like I will probably go with a 9.5

Go to the Wheels, Tyres Brakes & Suspension sub-forum and see the first two Stickies.

I posted in the first of those two stickies a few days ago and got no response, checked the second one and was still not 100% sure hence posting in here. Always helpful getting the view of those that know and have experience (purpose of a forum I guess). Last thing I want to do is get a set of wheels, get the tyres on and then when it comes to fitting them realising they don't fit.

You'll have seen I posted there in July regarding 18" GLC wheels to replace 17" w211 wheels on my E500; I used the second sticky, and they came out as giving virtually identical overall dimensions.

Computer said yes; computer was correct. What differences do you find - rolling radius, overall offset difference - with your proposed wheels?

So checking on that website (which is really handy btw) the 8.5's are a direct fit with no problems:
19x8_5_custom_rims.png

9.5's seem to be too wide according to the wheel fitment check, this is why I am confused as some people are saying 9.5 with et40 would fit but then here it says it won't.. this is made even more confusing when you check the wheel size comparer tool (below)

19x9_5_custom_rims.png

On the wheel / tyre size comparer it seems to suggest that 9.5 on an et40 would not have any material difference (when using 255's, 265's would be just out):

Custom_wheels__rim_tire_packages.png

and here is what it says with 265's on a 19x9.5 et40 (suggesting a tighter squeeze - consistent with everything that I have read thus far).

Custom_wheels__rim_tire_packages.png

If you're set on these wheels then get 8.5J ET40 all round. It's 11.35mm further out at the front and 7.65mm further out at the rear.

I really wouldn't get the 9.5J as you will likely rub and be having to stretch a 255 on it just to reduce rubbing so you're not getting the benefit of a wider rim. You can run a 255 (max) on the 8.5J and it will fit just fine with no rubbing.

9.5J ET45 is very pokey already and another 5mm will just make it look like it really doesn't belong.

If you're set on these wheels then get 8.5J ET40 all round. It's 11.35mm further out at the front and 7.65mm further out at the rear.

I really wouldn't get the 9.5J as you will likely rub and be having to stretch a 255 on it just to reduce rubbing so you're not getting the benefit of a wider rim. You can run a 255 (max) on the 8.5J and it will fit just fine with no rubbing.

9.5J ET45 is very pokey already and another 5mm will just make it look like it really doesn't belong.

This is really helpful and just the clarity I was after, thanks Steve 👍

That website is WRONG!!!!

A 9.5J ET40 sticks out 20.35mm further than a 9J ET54.

That website simply works out the difference between two offsets but doesn't take into account the different width. Every extra 0.5" on the wheel width makes the wheel stick out another 6.35mm as well as the difference in offset.

The comparison with the 255 vs 265 tyre is simply taking the 14mm measurement (which is wrong) and adding half the extra tyre width. It's not that simple as tyres sit differently on wider rims.

Use this website which is correct: https://www.willtheyfit.com

Thanks Steve, really helpful. Glad I didn't rely on that website and order solely off that basis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom