Wheel nut corrosion on C Class W204 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C.Rigby

Car
Mercedes A45 AMG 2016
Hi guys!

I have a C Class Coupe W204 2012 (62 Plate) which has done 17500 miles. I have notice that the wheel nuts have corroded and have gone a horrible colour. I called my local Mercesed dealership in Birkdale about this and my car is out of warranty by a month, typical! They said just for the locking wheel nuts alone would be £65+VAT which I think is stupid!
Does anyone know if I am elidgable to get new wheel nuts from Mercedes even though the car is out of warranty? Is there something that Mercedes arnt telling me like a secrete warranty which the car has?

1. They would have changed the bolts if the car was under warranty.

2. MB have 4th year 'Goodwill Warranty" which means that if the car has been serviced at MB Delear(s) for the first 3 years, then MB might contribute towards repairs in year 4, but it is at their discretion.

3. Original MB bolts rust within 18 months to two years from new. Almost all MB cars suffer frim this... MB will tell you that this is due to detergents or acidic wheels shampoo used while washing the car - which is of course nonsense. So you have the choice of either purchasing new MB bolts which will last a couple of years before rusting again, or purchasing non-MB bolts which will not rust, e.g.:

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/option/bolt_packs

or use caps to hide the rust which will also work (but not it you are a purist...):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref...17mm&sprefix=wheel+bolt+ca&tag=amazon0e9db-21

Wish I spotted this post before I started a similar thread :doh: Some invaluable info here which has answered my own questions :thumb:

I have the bolts from Alloywheelsdirect. Not a spec of corrosion after several years

I Rubbed mine down and painted them with Hammerite Silver, no issues since

Thanks for your help. I couldn't believe it when they said my car was out of warranty by a month! They want me to pay nearly £400 for new bolts so I'll go in and tell them about this 4 year goodwill warranty. Does anyone else know any more information about warranties? Iv read something about a 30 year warranty on rust and paint but I'm not clued up on it really.
Thanks everyone!

I Rubbed mine down and painted them with Hammerite Silver, no issues since

Yes, that was another option, I actually have the silver hammerite paint ready, however I was concerned that the paint might peel when a socket is used to remove the wheels, so in the end I did not actually paint them. I had them replaced once by MB under warranty (all 20 bolts including the locking ones), but now they have rusted again..... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom