Wheel polishing Cones or speed balls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeJV

SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes C63 AMG editon 507
Hi Guys
Can anybody recommend a wheel polishing cone that is safe to use on satin black wheels?

I've coated them with C5 wheel armour and looking for polishing/ buffing cone/ Ball to keep them maintained without damaging the wheels are the C5 wheel coating.

I have been wondering if it would be safe to use a speed ball or flexipads polishing ball with a Microfiber cloth wrapped over it, and use it with a Ph Neutral cleaner.

Any tips or recommended products would be great.

I was under the impression, if your wheels had a ceramic coating applied, then all that was needed to maintain them, was a wash and wipe with PH neutral shampoo :dk:

Well I've only just applied the C5 armour so I don't actually know how well it will perform, And I'm not entirely sure that it is a ceramic coating. as it doesn't say that it is?

I have sent an enquiry to the guys at Slims detailing who provided it, although it has full application instructions, it doesn't have any maintenance advise or recommended wheel cleaner to use after.

Well I've only just applied the C5 armour so I don't actually know how well it will perform, And I'm not entirely sure that it is a ceramic coating. as it doesn't say that it is?

I have sent an enquiry to the guys at Slims detailing who provided it, although it has full application instructions, it doesn't have any maintenance advise or recommended wheel cleaner to use after.

It states on the net it should last up to two years! All the info would suggest it is indeed a ceramic coating. Plenty of threads in coatings on here making ref to the Gtechniq C5 too.

C5 Wheel Armour ceramic coating for wheels Gtechniq.com

As above if the coating is applied correctly they should just wash normally. Big selling point for me in having the coating applied as it makes cleaning the car quicker and easier.

As above, no need for machine polishing on those wheels especially with a ceramic coating.

The most I would think they would need is some kind of fallout remover if they get really rough from iron deposits off the brakes and tar remover for any large specs of tar if they get bad. But to be honest I’ve only usually ever needed regular bodywork shampoo on my wheels over the years, I can’t see yours getting that bad if they’re coated :thumb:

The satin finish would probably require more care when polishing too.

ok guys, I'll just use ph neutral shampoo for now. I've checked the site out several times but can't find anything about recommended cleaners etc,

let's see How it performs, and maybe these flexi pad cleaning balls a go.

ok guys, I'll just use ph neutral shampoo for now. I've checked the site out several times but can't find anything about recommended cleaners etc,

let's see How it performs, and maybe these flexi pad cleaning balls a go.

You should only need shampoo to wash them, depending on how many miles you do and how often you wash the car you may need to hit them with a dedicated wheel cleaner or fallout remover occasionally.
A Daytona brush and a Dooka mitt should be all you need -
Natural Sheepskin Wheel Mitt | dooka Woollen Wheel Mitts
Daytona Speed Master - Wheel brushes

C5 should last you about 12mths before slickness and water behaviour drops off.

Happy cleaning!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris, I knew you'd be along soon, :thumb:

I'll take a look at the brushes too, I've so many of them, but nothing is excellent. EZ mini detail brush is good for getting between the caliper and the wheel pot, various wheel mits and so on. The 507 wheels have really small details on them and are by far the hardest wheel I've had to detail.

Thanks Chris, I knew you'd be along soon, :thumb:

I'll take a look at the brushes too, I've so many of them, but nothing is excellent. EZ mini detail brush is good for getting between the caliper and the wheel pot, various wheel mits and so on. The 507 wheels have really small details on them and are by far the hardest wheel I've had to detail.

I think you can over complicate it by having too much choice.
I have the above brush, wheel mitt, pastry brush for around the wheel bolts and a bullet brush for wheels that have never been cleaned.
If you roll the car forward half a wheel turn after initial wash you'll see all the bits that you haven't got 100%, including the bit of the barrel where the caliper was originally.

cheers,

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom