Wheel Refurb - Colour choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elneilios

Car
2004 CLK 270CDI
So I recently purchased my very first MB, it's an old 2004 CLK 270CDI but still in remarkable condition for it's age! (also I simply love it) One thing that I really need/want to do though is have the wheels refurbished as they are corroded and scuffed in places. I am wondering what colour finish to go for though? With the dark blue paint work part of me thinks I should just stick with the bright silver they already are, but another part of me wants to experiment with a darker titanium/gun metal finish. But I'm not really sure how that would look with the blue. Any suggestions or thoughts?

IMG_20180910_132857.jpg

For me, standard all the way - personally feel a darker shade will look a bit odd with the blue.

Nice car though, does look very tidy :thumb:

Hi, my last Mercedes was the same colour and I had my wheels powder coated gloss black. I thought they looked great and set the car off. :) :thumb:. down side my missis absolutely hated them and said it spoilt the look of the car.:fail::(. at the end of the day it is down to the individual.

Some cars can get away with it but I do think that blue is quite a challenging colour to work with on any car - only exception I can think of being gold wheels on the Williams Clio / Impreza's etc...

I do feel that a darker alloy can make some good looking cars look cheap & nasty. tbh, they don't look that bad in the pic!

That was what my other half said, made it look cheap. must admit though AND !!!!! big AND !!!!! eat humble pie it did look classier when I took them off and put the originals back on when I sold It.

@cobra7 what you are saying is what my gut is telling me too. The dark blue accentuates the chrome trim on my car so I should probably stick with that theme and keep the bright silver.

You can't really tell that anything is wrong with the wheels in that pic I agree but a close up reveals the truth!
IMG_20180905_163105.jpg

Hi, my last Mercedes was the same colour and I had my wheels powder coated gloss black. I thought they looked great and set the car off. :) :thumb:. down side my missis absolutely hated them and said it spoilt the look of the car.:fail::(. at the end of the day it is down to the individual.
Do you have any pictures of that car with the black wheels? I'd love to see how that looked.

I am sorry, I have been looking on my phone and laptop since I saw your thread to give you an idea.:(:fail:.I will quiz other half when she gets home to see if she has any.

The wheels look like they might be chrome finish. I had the same on a C320 and thought it was the best combination.

You don't say where you are but City Powder Coat in Birmingham did mine, and many more cars. Their prices take some beating and they will do a 1 day turn around if you want to just give them your car for the day (8am - 5pm). That'll cost a fair bit more though
£30 per wheel chrome,
I think £240 for the 1 day service and you just leave your keys and go shop (They're near the Bullring).

Probably with a dark car silver would look better, I went for an anthracite colour for my wheels as it doesn't show the brake dust so much, but then the car is silver.

@cobra7 what you are saying is what my gut is telling me too. The dark blue accentuates the chrome trim on my car so I should probably stick with that theme and keep the bright silver.

You can't really tell that anything is wrong with the wheels in that pic I agree but a close up reveals the truth!
IMG_20180905_163105.jpg
I agree, unless you’re going to black out the chrome trim, then stick with bright silver wheels.

Beautiful colour car. Probably Jasper blue.

OP: Bit of "Photoshoppery" applied - first one is Gunmetal (ish)
second one is Black (ish)

Might assist you a little, hopefully :thumb:

fXAOJts.jpg

NjMzpQi.jpg

Black Chrome would look great (powdercoated)

It’s a smoky chrome so a very muted, yet still retains some lightness/sparkle)

Nice bright silver all the way! . Personally not a fan of black wheels, they look like somebody's nicked ya hubcaps, especially from a distance .
(Only my opinion) :)

I went from gloss black to anthracite

OP: Bit of "Photoshoppery" applied - first one is Gunmetal (ish)
second one is Black (ish)

Might assist you a little, hopefully :thumb:

fXAOJts.jpg

NjMzpQi.jpg

Enough said:eek:

They look nicest in silver :thumb:

Go buy a can of spray paint in the colour you think you might like your wheels to be . Spray a wheel , sleep , repeat until you find the shade you like and get all 4 refurbished in that shade.
The car will look crap while you make up your mind , which in turn will force you to make the decision sooner :thumb:

OEM or just a little bit brighter silver always looks "right" IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom