Wheel refurbishment, Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1502

Car
SL60 AMG (Now sold)
My AMG split rims (2 piece) need refurbishing. I was thinking of sending them to Pristine wheels or Lepsons but wondered if there is a company closer by who will do as good a job. The wheels are in very good condition. They don't seem to have been done before. There is the tiniest bit of curb damage on one wheel but otherwise it is just lacquer/corrosion. I don't want exchange wheels.

To send them to Pristine would take 9 days, cost quite a bit and mean me leaving the car outside on axle stands which isn't ideal.

I then need to decide whether to go for polished/lacquered rims or chrome. I would have tended towards chrome but with the car being a bit special I wondered if I ought to keep them original.

Thanks

A proper refurb of split rims will take a while and won't be cheap. The wheels have to be taken apart, the rim and hub done separately, then re-assembled. Assuming your wheels are the same as mine (staggered 18s):

split1.jpg

... they are quite rare (genuine ones, anyway!), and expensive. So I doubt anyone would be able to offer exchange wheels.

Chromed rims sound awful, sorry :eek:

These guys have been mentioned here before I think:

Split Rim Clinic

Might be worth some searches.

Thanks. Those are the ones. The company you metion seem to be quite a bit cheaper so could be good if their work is up to scratch.

I know someone who has the same wheels and has had the chrome finish. I've not seen them up close though. In his case I believe the corrosion was such that polishing wouldn't have been good but I'm told the colour is done specifically to look like polished (or diamond cut) alloy but being a paint, it is more durable.

If there is anyone in the Manchester area that would be even better.

Good luck with this, they are great-looking wheels IMO and it's worth getting them pristine. They do need looking after though - use a sealant/wax on them, and keep them as clean as you can. As I'm sure you know, you can't use most (any?) 'wheel cleaner' solutions on split rims as they leech into the joints. So prevention is better than cure!

I'm actually just learning about split rims but will not be using wonder wheels, that's for sure. I'll get some much less aggressive cleaner. I want to get a top quality job done but don't want to pay more than necessary and there seems to be at least 50% difference between the quote I have from Pristine and some of the others mentioned which when there are quite a few jobs to be done is quite a difference.

To be honest, if they're properly sealed you won't need anything more agressive than a once over with a mitt and some car shampoo.

Voodoo Motorsport do split rim refurbs, but they no longer have a price list online; however I seem to recall it was fairly reasonable. I'm not sure of anyone I'd trust with splits in the Manchester area.

As Bill said, it's a fairly involved job - for a set of 3pc wheels you're talking about most of a day just breaking them down and reassembling them. 2pc will be a little easier but it's still a long job.

A relative of mine used prestige wheels in Stockport. He was very impressed with their standard of work.

Interesting to read that Voodoo don't lacquer polished rims and suggest chrome powdercoat if in daily use.

I definitely wouldn't want bare polished rims. If I were to go for the chrome then I think the place a friend of mine went in Salford (I think) would be fine. Prestige would also be convenient. I don't want to take any chances with these though so will only go to somewhere with an excellent reputation for such wheels.

dips at customcars is a wheel refurb expert and will be a ble to cater for whatever you need.i havent got his number but a quick google search should come up with it.i think he quoted me around £500 to do my amg 3-piece splits when i had them

You definitely want people who know what they are doing.

I've posted this pic. before ... it's a Silver Arrow temporarily fitted with the Ceginus wheels off my 500 (pre AMG rims), while it was having the brake discs replaced:

mystery.jpg

The Silver Arrow was suffering from vibration after a very expensive wheel refurb. We used my wheels to prove that the renovated SA ones were the source (the refurb company was disputing this).

If I had some temporary wheels it would make life a lot easier

I've got a couple of spare sets here, but you're about 200 miles away sadly!

Spare sets make it much easier, mine will be going back on the Ceginus wheels (the ones pictured above in fact, which I bought off Bill a few years back) when I redo the dishes on my 3pc AMGs

Last edited:
If I had some temporary wheels it would make life a lot easier

I'm only up the road... you are welcome to borrow my spare - which along with your own will cover 1 axle.. (assuming a 16" will clear the rear brakes)

There must be a couple of other local forum members who could "chip in"?

sadly i just sold my spare set of 18" and my other set of 17...

Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what will fit with mine having big brakes. I would only need to borrow some to leave it stationary. I don't mind not driving it for a few days. There are other jobs which need doing too and I'm not sure in what order I shall be doing them so am not sure of the timing yet. I suppose the only issue is that a lot of people like to keep their spare wheel unused.

You could possibly buy a cheap set of 8 hole alloys on eBay, then either:

• sell them on at much the same price
  • give them a cheap refurb and sell for a profit
  • hang on to them for winter wheels (space permitting)
Not sure that the brake disks/calipers on the SL60 are physically larger (pretty sure earlier ones had 17" 3-piece wheels), but you would need to confirm this. Check what size is given in the handbook for winter wheels - I would guess 16" steel rims.

As far as I'm aware, SL60 brakes are the same as the V12 - 320mm vented and handed. They fit under 16's fine (this is also what my car is equipped with)

It's only much later cars with the 334mm cross-drilled discs where I'm not sure if they fit under a 16 wheel or not.

I think they're probably ok then and as far as I know you're right about them being the same as the SL600. The spare is a brand new 8 hole so they must fit I would think. If I had the space the winter wheel thing would be a good idea but the only space I have is taken up by the winter wheels for our X5. They'd probably be more important for this car though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom