Wheel size v Road Tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borotew

Car
E350CDi Coupe Sport - Gone
Have been looking to buy S Class and have found that road tax differs according to wheel size
17" + 18" = £285 pa while 19" + 20" = £485 pa.

Would anyone check if they were changed after buying? :confused:

For cars registered before 23 March 2006 the highest band was £285 - the £485 and £500 bands only came in on that date.

So two identical cars, registered one day apart, may have different road tax.

Wheel size is not relevant on it's own - it could only affect road tax if it could cause the CO2 emission to increase into another band - the emissions are more likely to be different between different engine options.

PS - this is one reason why I'm keeping my Dec 05 ML…

Wheel size is not relevant on it's own - it could only affect road tax if it could cause the CO2 emission to increase into another band
There are a number of current and recent MB cars that move up into a higher C02 emission band if you specify optional larger wheels. Certain versions of the W212 for instance.

The above link shows how the road tax is calculated. It has never been levied on wheel size:D

Edit........st13phil, really? How on earth do larger wheels affect emissions:dk:

Sounds very odd to me. Would have to be a miniscule difference in emissions due to larger rolling mass etc. I find it very odd that such a variable could legitimately push emissions over the threshold though, unless with the smaller wheels, it is literally a point away from the threshold. I should imagine this would make it very very difficult to tax in future however, as the DVLA system probably won't prompt for wheel size. That said, if the DVLA system does prompt for wheel size and you've got a different size than you've declared, you won't have paid the appropriate amount, thus invalidating the road tax, thus invalidating your insurance in an accident......stupid, petty country we live in these days. Thought the war against the motorist was over after Blair? No such luck.

The Fiat Panda Eco dropped into a lower tax band by fitting skinny tyres, the slightly reduced rolling resistance was sufficient to make the difference.

How on earth do larger wheels affect emissions:dk:

Apart from the rolling resistance already mentioned bigger wheels tend to be wider = more frontal area exposed below the car = more aerodynamic drag.

Apart from the rolling resistance already mentioned bigger wheels tend to be wider = more frontal area exposed below the car = more aerodynamic drag.

:DYou learn something new every day. Totally unaware road fund duty was affected by wheel size.:eek:

Not sure this can really be an ethical way to tax vehicles, as Tyres can have just as much part to play in fuel consumption and therefore emissions as well. If the DVLA tax system is about to ask you more than your reg number, I think lots of people will be cheating once they figure it out.

How could you measure your own cars CO2 reading? MOT perhaps? Then could you contest your road tax band?

How could you measure your own cars CO2 reading? MOT perhaps? Then could you contest your road tax band?

Nice thought, but I'm guessing they wouldn't offer that ability. Plus, an MOT CO2 reading is at just above idle, without taking weight, friction, load etc. into account, it's just a base reading and useless in this instance.

Here you go, a couple of examples from the April 2012 edition of the W212 pricelist:

Both the E220CDI & E250CDI on 16-inch wheels are in Band D, but on larger wheels are in Band E; The E350CDI BlueTEC is in Band I on 17-inch wheels, but in Band J in 18's or 19's.

As others have already said, it's down to a combination of rolling resistance, weight and frontal area.

The VED band is decided by the emissions declared at first registration, so in answer to the OP's question you could buy and register a car on wheels that put it in a lower VED band and subsequently change them without any consequence to VED rates. The same applies to other modifications that may change the vehicle emissions after initial registration, such as adding roof bars, mud flaps, or a supercharger ;)

For cars registered before 23 March 2006 the highest band was £285 - the £485 and £500 bands only came in on that date.

So two identical cars, registered one day apart, may have different road tax.

Wheel size is not relevant on it's own - it could only affect road tax if it could cause the CO2 emission to increase into another band - the emissions are more likely to be different between different engine options.

PS - this is one reason why I'm keeping my Dec 05 ML…

I love this... I pay the lower amount for my C43 (cos it's old) and 'er indoors pays the higher amount for her brand new Mitsubishi 2.0 or something diesel high efficiency turbo 50 mpg Barbarian!! Unfortunately that leaves me paying for dinner.... :eek: Of course in the end I pay more tax through fuel duty, but she doesn't see it that way.

Would anyone check if they were changed after buying? :confused:

I don't think it matters - the figure is set at registration.

There's a related story that when it looked like there was going to be a higher Congestion charge band of £25 for higher emission vehicles, London dealers were telling buyer to opt for the smallest wheels and have the bigger ones fitted as an accessory.

Guess I need a S Class with 17" wheels (plenty about) or try to find an early Blue Efficiency version but that will be high mileage so bringing more problems!

Decisions, decisions.

guys hi, new here, quick question since all posts above from 2015... I plan to buy diesel 2 liter c class, lets say for example c250d 2017 model amg line trim.. what would be the difference of tax between 17" wheels compared to 19" wheels or even 20! if i retro fit later.?? thanks alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom