Wheel spacers and longer bolts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrLCA

Car
2011 C250 CDI
Hi all,

Just a quick one to see if anyone will know. I've just fitted some 10mm spacers to my c-class and used the supplied 40mm bolts. There is a horrible noise coming from the rear now. I've done some reading and it appears that the bolts are rubbing on the hand break mechanism. So looks like I need 37mm bolts instead.

My question is, will the ones in the picture be ok? I'm not sure what this floating collar business is all about and whether it will be an issue?

Screenshot_2021-06-17-09-34-18-67_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

As always, thanks for your help.

Lawrence

If the bolts are too long they tend not to 'rub' on the handbrake mechanism...they tend to destroy it completely. remove the rear wheels and brake discs and inspect the brake shoes and the mechanism close up.

Measure how much thread of the original bolts stick through the wheel then add 10mm (for the spacer) and see what numbers you get for the new bolts length.

Do the new bolts have the same shaped seat as the originals ?

K

Don't forget to inform your insurers of this modification.

NJSS

Or just throw the spacers away and rely on the expertise of the highly qualified and knowledgeable engineers who designed the suspension in the first place.

the 10 mm spacers will give your car a nice stance . if the bolts are to long they will be touching the hand brake set up. just do some simple measurements and buy/trim the bolts to suit . jack the car up chock the front wheels place in neutral so the rear wheel can be spun and listen for any contact before driving . its not rocket science . no doubt others will disagree but its a straight forward job . also , always use hubcentric spacers and radius bolts !!!!!!

I installed 12mm spacers on my rear wheels along with the supplied bolts that came with them.
One bolt is tapping against the handbrake ( rear right LHD ).

It stops tapping once I get going ( about 400 feet ).
It's a head-scratcher as my tire shop tried in vain to push in whatever it was tapping against. I guess the only thing to do is file off that bolt.

BRN9121 . Let me red that again.

"my tire shop tried in vain to push in whatever it was tapping against...."

Really ?

" I guess the only thing to do is file off that bolt " ......Yes , this is probably the best plan out of the two. :thumb:

BRN9121 . Let me red that again.

"my tire shop tried in vain to push in whatever it was tapping against...."

Really ?

" I guess the only thing to do is file off that bolt " ......Yes , this is probably the best plan out of the two. :thumb:

Yes, correct. And these guys are meant to be the best in town.
Ironically, the sound is gone, been driving the car for the past 2 days, nothing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If the bolts are too long they tend not to 'rub' on the handbrake mechanism...they tend to destroy it completely. remove the rear wheels and brake discs and inspect the brake shoes and the mechanism close up.
Good to know.

All sorted. Got 37mm bolts in the end and now there's no rubbing. Apologies for the black and white pics but this was the only way I could think of getting under the 2mb picture file size limit.

There really isn't much info that I could find about spacers for this car on the internet so here are some pictures for reference.

2011 w204 facelift C250 CDI Sport

With 10 mm spacers front and rear

Hope this helps someone.
Screenshot_2021-07-06-18-42-38-77~2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-07-06-18-42-53-55~2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-07-06-18-43-34-01~2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-07-06-18-43-52-58~2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-07-06-18-44-06-73~2.jpg

It's also a diesel.:D. Never seen a biturbo badge on a diesel before.
Always a first I suppose;)
I had a Vivaro that had biturbo badges on it lol from factory I might add.

@OP cars looking great 👍

It's also a diesel.:D. Never seen a biturbo badge on a diesel before.
Always a first I suppose;)
Thought it would be a bit more sporty than the blue efficiency badges it came with :) don't worry, no AMG badge on the boot ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom