Wheel spin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1). It's a powerful rear wheel drive car with a very "grabby" first gear, and a slippery road.

2). Comfort mode might help, because it pulls away in second, as might better/different tyres, but ultimately, see 1).

Them's a bugger, them laws of physics :crazy:.
I've resisted commenting on a thread talking about a 600 bhp rwd car having wheelspin issues on cold wintry roads.

I find just driving in accordance to the road/weather conditions my e55 is fine. Use comfort mode if you find it hard to resist putting your foot down when pulling away.

You guys must have poor tyres on.... You really shouldn't be wheelspinning pulling out supermarkets unless your driving like an asbo.

I just turned the traction off on the way home and gunned it 70% throttle uphill on a wet road and had no wheelspin whatsoever, car gripped and went. Conti Sport 5 tyres.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

First off, yes, I get it, hundreds of hp on cold roads, potentially goona be a bit tricky, I understand that.

It's worse than I expected though. We're talking about car in comfort mode (and therefore in 2nd gear), pulling out of supermarket car park, damp road (but not raining and not "properly wet"). Just normal acceleration, wheels spinning all over.

I've ridden fast sports bikes for years, I understand power and grip, but like I said it's worse than I expected.

But....

You've all put your finger on it. It's got pirellis on (it came with them) and as so many people have pointed straight at that without even knowing the tyres, that seems like the most likely first thing to change. ;-)

That moves me on to winter tyres.

I have a set of wheels/tyres in the garage that I used to have on my E350 before I got the e63. The 63 has 285 rears whereas the 350 had 265, but they have decent winter tyres on, so would the lack of width make it pointless? Or would the improved grip from the tyres make it better than it is now? Anyone got experience of winter tyres widths on the 63?

Come to think of it, I think they're 18" inch wheels too, but the 63 comes with 18's or 19's doesn't it? So I assume there won't be any issue with that?

Thanks.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

First off, yes, I get it, hundreds of hp on cold roads, potentially goona be a bit tricky, I understand that.

It's worse than I expected though. We're talking about car in comfort mode (and therefore in 2nd gear), pulling out of supermarket car park, damp road (but not raining and not "properly wet"). Just normal acceleration, wheels spinning all over.

I've ridden fast sports bikes for years, I understand power and grip, but like I said it's worse than I expected.

But....

You've all put your finger on it. It's got pirellis on (it came with them) and as so many people have pointed straight at that without even knowing the tyres, that seems like the most likely first thing to change. ;-)

That moves me on to winter tyres.

I have a set of wheels/tyres in the garage that I used to have on my E350 before I got the e63. The 63 has 285 rears whereas the 350 had 265, but they have decent winter tyres on, so would the lack of width make it pointless? Or would the improved grip from the tyres make it better than it is now? Anyone got experience of winter tyres widths on the 63?

Come to think of it, I think they're 18" inch wheels too, but the 63 comes with 18's or 19's doesn't it? So I assume there won't be any issue with that?

Thanks.

Take a look at your manual, it will specify wheel/tyre sizes for winter use.

Have P Zero's on mine and it seems fine although the car has only done 5000 miles.

Mine is not an AMG but an E350cdi which has plenty of torque.

Not really pushing it in the wet but driving normally does not give me wheel spin.

I have the 9 speed auto box which even in Eco modes pulls away in 1st gear from stationary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a big heavy car with a tonne of torque, unless you very carefully accelerate away from standing (especially in the wet) you're going to spin up. It's the one thing I truly miss about having a 4wd car, it had around 430hp which is almost half of the AMG but for coming out of junctions and off the line - I'd be at 60 while the AMG would still be sat spinning at 10mph.

You've all put your finger on it. It's got pirellis on (it came with them) and as so many people have pointed straight at that without even knowing the tyres, that seems like the most likely first thing to change.

Nail on the head - Pirelli should be banned from supplying tyres in countries that have rainy days. They are shockingly bad in the wet as previously mentioned.

It's a big heavy car with a tonne of torque, unless you very carefully accelerate away from standing (especially in the wet) you're going to spin up. It's the one thing I truly miss about having a 4wd car, it had around 430hp which is almost half of the AMG but for coming out of junctions and off the line - I'd be at 60 while the AMG would still be sat spinning at 10mph.

My old S3 with 4wd and just a bit over 300bhp destroyed pretty much any exotic RWD in the wet.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I can't be bothered to read all the posts.

2 thing really

Check the age of your tyres.

It will be in a curved rectangle box along the side wall. It will read something like (43/14) which is the week and year it was built in.

If you're tyres are old then the rubber compound has probably gone hard.

Also another possibility is if you drive it hard, working the tyres hard for long ish periods the heat cycles will have ruined the compound of the tyre which you'd start to notice in this weather.

Headhurts said:
Have P Zero's on mine and it seems fine although the car has only done 5000 miles.
My experience is that with only light wear on the P Zeros they're reasonably ok, but be prepared for a dramatic reduction in cold weather grip once they're down to 5mm of tread or less.

My experience is that with only light wear on the P Zeros they're reasonably ok, but be prepared for a dramatic reduction in cold weather grip once they're down to 5mm of tread or less.

They have 4.5 mm on them.
I'm gonna bin them as soon as I get chance to suss out the winter tyres options.
Handbook recommends 255 rears for winter but my e350 ones are 245's.
Probably a better bet than the ones it has on now though.

My previous C55 ran on Conti Sports and an open diff, changed to Michi Pilots and it changed things, I then added the Quaife, which helped again.
It wasn't a radical change whereby I gained 50% grip more a case of 10/20% more off the line in the wet, a lot better under braking.
High powered RWD and cold, damp or wet roads is always going to be the compromise.
I had P Zero's on my current car and didn't like the feed back, now on Michi Pilots and rate them, overall I rarely hear poor reports of Michi Pilots and I've used them on a few of my cars.

Drive safe :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom