Wheel squealing e320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jkspoff

Car
Mercedes E220cdi AMG Estate W212 Remapped Stage 1
Hi all, I'm pulling my hair out as I've so far replaced the brake pads, discs and rear handbreak shoes but my e320cdi is still making a squealing noise at low speeds without braking. It seems to be a rear wheel. Do you think it could be a wheel bearing ?

Rear wheel bearings tend to rumble rather than squeak, in proportion to road speed.

What happens when you brake, does the noise change or stop?

When I brake the sound tends to carry on.

Actually I've just noticed that after I brake heavily the sound stops.

Squealing is usually caused by the pads vibrating in the caliper.

Possible sticking caliper piston? If it's not releasing properly it could be holding the pad against the disc. Does one of the wheel centres get exceptionally hot after a few miles?
Do the wheels spin freely, without any play in the bearings?

Did you apply copper grease or Mercedes purpose made grease to the back of the pads and the sliding edges when you fitted them?

Hi, thank you for your help, yes one of the discs does get very hot and the wheel is sticking when I spin it, I've taken it to my local garage today and it turns out the calipers are the cause. Something to do with been overtightened and not enough slack in them.

Well, I'm now wondering if it's the bearings as the brake is still sticking but everything seems to check out ok. Wheel squeels at low speed.

Hi everyone, my rear offside wheel is still squeeling when it's rotating, not braking, anyone any more ideas ? Thanks

Solution

For your information the noise was caused by sticking sliding caliper pins, they were bent and rough. Replacement at £11.50 each fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom