Wheel wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sarahkatek26

Car
2018 E220 cabriolet
Hi all

I really need your help and advice
I recently (4 weeks ago) purchased a 68 plate E220 cabriolet with 21” alloys on see picture

since purchase I have had an intermittent wheel wobble issue when breaking.

ive had the break disks replaced about 10
Days ago and today it’s started again.

I understand the disks are floating disks and maybe over torque during tightening could warp the disks

or could it be the fact they are 21” alloys or something else ?

Help! I just want to enjoy my new car and I’m not

Sarah

5508C532-CF7F-4962-8F0C-E5728A7C16A1.jpeg

Hello from another Sarah. It's a shame you aren't enjoying your car. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.

Wheel wobble when braking is often associated with pad material deposits on the discs. Try a few high speed stop (but don't come to a complete stop) to see if they clean up.
Another possibility is dirty disc mating face on the hubs, only takes a speck of muck/rust. The hub face must be spotlessly cleaned when replacing the discs.

Oooh ok
I’ll give that a bash

they put new pads and discs on so maybe that

1 wheel bearing play.
2 warped or badly fitted disc
3 control arm worn.

Best to jack the front up , secure it , and check the above.

I had a wobble which turned out to be wheel bearing that needed tightening

1 wheel bearing play.
2 warped or badly fitted disc
3 control arm worn.

Best to jack the front up , secure it , and check the above.

I had a wobble which turned out to be wheel bearing that needed tightening
Thank I’ll try ta

Are those OEM wheels? Do they have a Mercedes part number on the back?

Bought my W203 and it had newish discs and pads , However it had a bad wheel wobble under breaking.
Sadly I had to fit new discs and pads as the new ones were warped due to been fitted on a rusty uneven hub by some cowboy

When I had the wheel wobble under braking it was control arms at about 85 thousand miles.

No mention of mileage on the car, or if the wheels are new or were on the car when it was purchased. Did a main dealer do the brake replacement? You will have warranty on the work replacing the discs, alas if they are none OEM wheels you will have no warranty on the brakes, steering and suspension, so getting help from MB will be difficult.

Hi Sarah and welcome.

I had this issue on another car (not the Merc). If you braked at speeds over ~30mph, you could feel a vibration through the steering wheel.

I changed the front hubs, front wheels bearings, discs and pads, using all genuine parts, and tightened everything to the correct torque. The problem went away. But it came back a couple of months later...

My next step was going to be start replacing suspension components (I even bought the control arms), but I ended-up Pxing the car so never got to the bottom of it.

I suspect that the vibration was caused when the discs get warped as result of a worn a suspension component, possibly the control arm, so replacing the discs with new only provided a temporary solution.

Hope you have better luck!

That’s a lovely car. The wheels look incredible - are they Mercedes parts? They look huge and potentially aftermarket which could be contributing to the problem.

First thing to do is to ask a garage or mechanic to check that all is in order with suspension, bushes, ball joints, and the brakes themselves, including the callipers.

If the callipers are sticking then it could cause the vibration and potentially warp every set of disks you fit until the underlying problem is resolved.

Did the wobble go away after the new parts were fitted?

I would certainly be checking the wheels for any discrepancies. The wheels look amazing, but at 21" I wouldn't be surprised if they are not 100% true. Your car also looks lowered (unless it's the camera angle) as it would ordinarily sit quite high when fitted with such HUGE wheels, so I wouldn't rule out a suspension component.

That’s a lovely car. The wheels look incredible - are they Mercedes parts? They look huge and potentially aftermarket which could be contributing to the problem.

First thing to do is to ask a garage or mechanic to check that all is in order with suspension, bushes, ball joints, and the brakes themselves, including the callipers.

If the callipers are sticking then it could cause the vibration and potentially warp every set of disks you fit until the underlying problem is resolved.

Did the wobble go away after the new parts were fitted?
I’m pretty sure that sticking calipers was my issue with vibration under braking , took two sets of discs to find out though .
I have in the last year though replaced all discs and pads on both cars at the same time as overhauling the caliper seals (first time for me , but now I’ve done 8 calipers ) . That was the first disc change at 100,000 miles on the E class (2 sets of pads though ) .
As said with the control arms I had also changed them at around the same time on the CLK (80k) , so fingers that’s the end of any vibration

If the discs were warped, surely you feel a pulsing through the brake pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom