Wheels and tyres storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s4rap

Car
2001 clk 430
Hi all,just taken my wheels off the clk and put some wheels on with bald tyres while it's been sorned.Looking for some advice regarding the storage of my immaculate Amg wheels and tyres.Is it better to deflate them totally,a little or not at all while they are off the car:dk: thanks

Use something like this, rims held clear of one another no damage, no danger of flat spots in the tyres. Leave the tyres inflated as normal but cover them to protect from light

You want to put them somewhere dry. Well wrapped up (individually) to protect from scratches and sunlight. (cloth no plastic)

Put the pressures up a bit in case they loose some. No sagging and no flat spots then.

I usually put them up in the garage loft so they don't get things dropped on them or run over

I kept a set of Borrani's under the bed in a guest room but SWMBO went mad when she found them!

Thanks all,they are going under the stairs,inflated!! Many thanks to all.

Use something like this, rims held clear of one another no damage, no danger of flat spots in the tyres. Leave the tyres inflated as normal but cover them to protect from light

I have the static version of this, as I have a set of winter wheels for my S204. When I change the wheels, I thoroughly clean the ones I've taken off, inside and out, then Rimwax them before putting them on the stand with just the supplied non-waterproof nylon cover over them - and they live outside. Last year I tried putting a large bin liner over the wheels before putting the nylon cover on, but the rain collected on the top and pushed the bin liner down through the centre of the wheels! My logic is that the wheels are normally "outside" when on the car, so storing them outside, especially as I clean and rimwax them first, should be OK.

I've had the stand for 3 or 4 years now, and am quite happy with it.

what size alloys do these take? just worried handle will be to close to centre spindle.

what size alloys do these take? just worried handle will be to close to centre spindle.

The one in my link seems, from the description, to be more smaller alloys. I had one of the same design that comfortably held my 18" alloys with 245 tyres..

My static one takes up to 245 IIRC, I have 16" rims with 205's or 225's on them, they fit comfortably. the limiting factor for mine is the width of the tyre, not the size of the rim, so that the tyres do not touch when stacked on the stand.

i bought a wheel stand from aldi a few years ago and it does the job just perfectly, only cost about £5 too

122.jpg

I'd be abit worried about metal-on-metal contact using the wheels stand. Even if the contact comes from initially putting the wheels on the stand:dk:

As soon as they start throwing salt over the roads, I'll be taking my BC rims off and putting my Mandrus rims back on.

As mentioned, I'll clean and wax the BC rims inside and out and then I'll be bringing them indoors to store in a spare room.

I'll keep the pressures as normal and lay them down on their own - not on top of each other and not standing up.

I'll probably drape a blanket over them to keep the light off them too.

I'd rather bring them in and store them at room temperature in the dry.

:thumb:

Rashman said:
I'd be abit worried about metal-on-metal contact using the wheels stand. Even if the contact comes from initially putting the wheels on the stand:dk: As soon as they start throwing salt over the roads, I'll be taking my BC rims off and putting my Mandrus rims back on. As mentioned, I'll clean and wax the BC rims inside and out and then I'll be bringing them indoors to store in a spare room. I'll keep the pressures as normal and lay them down on their own - not on top of each other and not standing up. I'll probably drape a blanket over them to keep the light off them too. I'd rather bring them in and store them at room temperature in the dry. :thumb:

Rash,

Sound like they will get better looked after than me. Bed time story??

Rashman said:
lol :D No story. Bit of cocoa maybe before their 5mth hibernation. :D

Sounds good any space for me in the spare room next to them wheels?

I have a second set of rims. I usually inflate the tyres to normal and have wheel bags to contain each one after cleaning them. I stack them in a dark corner of my well insulated garage!

I move them around every now and again and check the tyre pressure - they seem fine like this :D

just a quick question for rashman,why would you not store them stacked on top of each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom