Wheels exchange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexports

Car
W222 S350L SE Exec Line
Hi guys, just bought a w212 avantgarde and unfortunately they don't' come with 16" wheels anymore. Would anyone who got 16" wheels, preferably w211 elegance version, be interested in a swap with my 17" avantgarde? Cheers.

Will the 16" rims clear your brake calipers ?

Worth checking in case they fitted larger calipers - hence the removal of the 16" option.

I nearly made that mistake with a set of 'winter' rims on my S500. The rims from the S320 wouldn't fit due to my car having larger brake calipers.

Worth checking .....

I wouldn't want a swap, but if you are stuck I have some recently refurbished wheels, with nearly new goodyear 4 seasons that I took off my SLK230 when I traded it.
Wheel size 7Jx16 H2 ET37 with 205/55 R16 V tyres
Im pretty sure they wont fit my 06 SLK350.

Mark

I wouldn't want a swap, but if you are stuck I have some recently refurbished wheels, with nearly new goodyear 4 seasons that I took off my SLK230 when I traded it.
Wheel size 7Jx16 H2 ET37 with 205/55 R16 V tyres
Im pretty sure they wont fit my 06 SLK350.

Mark

Thanks, Mark, but i think the E class needs to be on 225/55/16 at least. 205's are to narrow i think. I dont really have to change them, but i do about 100k miles a year and the 16" tyres would be a bit cheaper.

Thanks, Mark, but i think the E class needs to be on 225/55/16 at least. 205's are to narrow i think. I dont really have to change them, but i do about 100k miles a year and the 16" tyres would be a bit cheaper.

16" tyres are considerably cheaper..
The ride is also better on 16" and they are a tad better on fuel..
We pay for fashion on cars one way or another.

I'm surprised by this too - I've always upgraded size wise.

Perhaps there aren't many 16" around these day :dk:.

I'm sure there are as many w212 came with 16"s in their early days. Maybe members are still on holiday. Ah well, whatever happens.

I was wrong, I'm not after w211, I'm after w212 16 inch wheels. Thanks for input.

Alex,

Did you get some 16's ?

I'd be interested in your 17's as I'm about to buy some from the dealer to put on my 212 for winter wheels....

Si

Thanks. I've managed to sell mines and bought some 16" off eBay in mint condition. I saw some genuine 16's on eBay from apex car breakers. They look as they could use refurb. I think they ask about £399. I'll post the link if you can't find them. Let me know. Regards.

I have the Sport version so can't fit 16s due to the size of the callipers

Do you mind me asking how much you for the them ?

My localish dealer has offered me 20% off the list price for the 17" Wheel and Winter tyre package so coming in as a fitted price of £1276 which isn't bad I thought

Thanks

Si

I've sold my 17's with summer contis for £600. That sounds pretty good offer from dealers, considering you get new wheels and tyres

I've just remembered I've got a friend with a '61 plate sport that had 17" amg wheels on it and now he's got 16's on and he's never mentioned anything about downgrading brakes to accommodate the wheels.

My car is in for service so I'll ask them when I collect it but when I spoke to parts department they said 17" was there recommendation for my car

Of course 16" would be a much cheaper option for us

Thanks for the tip

Si

They could be right for the fact that you will need a tyre with a taller wall to maintain the overall diameter of the wheel, therefore losing the sportier handling provided by lower profile tyre.

I've just remembered I've got a friend with a '61 plate sport that had 17" amg wheels on it and now he's got 16's on and he's never mentioned anything about downgrading brakes to accommodate the wheels.
I'm just about to invest in a W212 sport and was wondering if anyone could confirm that it'll take a set of 16-inchers.
:)

As far as I'm aware the sport and amg sport/line versions need 17" to clear the bigger discs and calipers used on these models, whereas the avantgarde & SE can get away with 16's.

cheers, Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom