Wheels for winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjbarnard

As advised here, I am going to get spare set of wheels for new winter tyres.

I have W211 E320cdi. Because it is the Sport version, I am limited in reducing the wheels from current 18 inch to 17 inch. Steels are not readily available in 17 inch, so I am looking to get new spare alloys.

My question relates to reducing the rim width. Currently it has
8.5j 18 ET38 Front
9J 18 ET 38 Rear

The manual recommends 8.5J 18 ET38 for winter wheels. However I would like to get 8j 17 so that I can fit narrower deeper tyres (eg 225 or 235).

The tyre calculator on rimsntires.com tells me that using 8J 17 ET38 rims will give me 7mm less backspace compared to 8.5 x 18. My question is - given the Sport version with wide brake calipers etc, is it all right to reduce the rim width in this way? Any other considerations?

I realise I could vary the offset to produce an identical backspace, but I am choosing an alloy size which appears to be widely available.

Thanks
Matthew

This has become a much simpler question now.

Have decided after all to go with the owners manual recommended rims - 8.5J x 18. Have sourced an inexpensive set (non-Mercedes replica) to use as winter wheels.

My question relates to fitting them. With non-mercedes rims, is there any way of being sure about suitable bolt length other than buying them, putting some bolts through and ensuring there is suitable length the other side (eg 15-20mm)?

I will buy bolts from alloywheelsdirect, but of course their products are aimed at Mercedes/AMG/Brabus alloys.

Thanks
matthew

Thank you Chris. Will phone in morning as would much prefer genuine wheels.

Are you absolutely sure that the Sports version will take 16 inch wheels? A wealth of posts on this and other sites suggests 17 inches is the minimum due to large brake calipers etc.

Thanks
Matthew

makes no difference whatsoever.
It would make a difference if you had a 4-Matic 320Cdi with code 950/952 (sports things).
That pdf is definitive. Sorry it has taken so much investigating to get to this point..
That your MB dealer recommended against cold weather tyres is astounding when just recently they would have received a bulletin on 6th October from head of MB Accessories with all the information they would have required to answer your query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom