Wheels-light refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
I've noticed the rear wheels on my C43 (powder coated gloss black) are a little matted/speckled on the inner edges of the splines and could do with some minor refurb. I was thinking some form of polish/cutting compound-any recommendations? Given I'll be doing 4 wheels I'd like to use a polishing attachment to speed things up, perhaps one that could fit a cordless drill - again, any recommendations?

I doubt the marks will polish out, even if you could get to it. Sounds like the clearcoat may well be starting to delaminate from the basecoat due to poor cross linking during the curing process. We use either a single coat Gloss Black for this reason, or Acrylic clear over Hi Flo Black Primer. Good luck though 👍

If it's actually powder coat rather than paint, I don't think you can do anything with it, I've seen speckles in powder coat before and it's usually caused by small air bubbles escaping during the curing process. TBH I don't think you can actually 'polish' powder coat like you can paint anyway, it would just either burn/melt or go dull.

Thanks for the replies. The wheels/paint used to be smooth on the inner edges of the splines and to me, it looks like pitting from brake dust. I'll post some pictures when I get the car back from the bodyshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom