When are you an experienced Mercedes owner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another Tanzanite&Alpaca owner here ;)

Other than modern blues, hyacinth is possibly on my shortlist.

Ahh! Good old hyacinth! Was our team colour for many years....Aprilia.jpeg

Only seven MBs here and not a lot of miles between them, but I have had the big bill! My much loved and anticipated CLS cost £3K in it's first three months with me!! I probably am experienced in that way as I won't have an MB (or any German car actually) out of warranty, hence the last three SLK and SLC were (are) new :)

By the way, anyon with an SLC/K thinking about the all-new BMW Z4 to replace it, as the SLC SLK line is now over?

I've owned a large range of different brands and enjoy the change. However we have owned more MB's than any other brand - seem to keep going back to them.

Drove my first MBs in the early 70s - my dad and step dad both had them and would lend them to me as the 'posh' cars for friends weddings - as you can imagine, I was quite in demand as a driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, anyon with an SLC/K thinking about the all-new BMW Z4 to replace it, as the SLC SLK line is now over?

The AMGs will possibly become quite collectable - If I had the space, I'd be looking for a good low mileage example as an investment!

Bought my first MB in 2012, a W211 E320cdi sold to us by a family friend. The first time I had ever sat in an E class driving seat was when I collected it from Leeds to take it home to Jersey. Replaced in 2016 by the first of two ML 320cdi 's ( plus a couple of Smart's for my wife if they count ) . The second ML was sold in January 2019 as it was not getting used very often and was replaced with an A210 Evolution ( bought from Edd1968 another forum member ) also having never sat in one one until I collected it from Inverness to drive it to West Wales. I see a pattern emerging here.
Finally also acquired a second Mercedes last month, a rather lovely SLK55 . I did test drive for 20 minutes, although once I had sat in the driver's seat and started it up I would happily have parted with my money. As my wife had accompanied me to the dealers she insisted we both went out for a test drive ( separately ) Luckily it got her seal of approval, so I have achieved my ambition of owning another V8 ( Discovery / XJR previously ) before my age catches up with me.

I think I qualify …

So far …..
1998 SLK230 (new)
2000 C200 (new)
2001 CLK320 Cabrio (new)
1991 300TD W124
2000 CL500
2002 W210 E320 Cdi
1989 420SL
2004 CLK55 AMG Cabrio
1995 E320 Cabrio
2006 W211 E320 cdi (new)
2010 A207 350 cdi Cabrio
2014 W218 350d CLS Shooting Break

Currently
2017 S213 220d Estate
2012 A207 E500 Cabrio

So … 14 Mercs.
4 New ’uns
10 S/hand.

Engines
8 Petrol
6 Diesel
4 x V8’s, (inc. 1 x AMG)
3 X 4 Cylinder
7 X 6 Cylinder

Bodystyle
7 x Cabrios
1 x Saloon
5 x Estates (inc 1 Shooting Break)
1 x Coupe

Colour
3 Blue
6 Silver/Grey
3 Black
2 Red

Only owned, and still have one non Merc since 1998 being my 2017 VW Polo - which is an excellent car also. Total Mercedes mileage, about half a million in total I reckon.

Another Tanzanite&Alpaca owner here ;)

CL55 AMG Kompressor in Tanzanite with Alpaca + My present CL63 Bi-Turbo with Alpaca and Cavansite Blue which has replaced Tanzanite :):cool:

Started in 1983

1st 300 SEL 6.3
2nd 560 SEL
3rd 560 SEC
4th AMG 43 ( 202 )
5th CL55 AMG Kompressor
6th 500 S-Class ( 220 )
7th 500 S-Class ( 221 )
8th CL 63 BI-Tubo

Do Love a V8 :):D:cool:

Last edited:
One of my favourite 220's (005) was dark metallic blue (actually BMW Mauritus blue!) Seen here with myself and my father on a development trip to the New Forest in 1991.
That very car had just set the production car Nurburgring record in the hands of Le Mans winner John Nielsen. The record lasted 7 years.

220dad1991.jpg

The other is this very smart wine red example which I test drove for Classic and Sportscar magazine a couple of years ago. It had just won the concours prize at Salon Prive, so I had to be a bit careful with it. Easier said than done as it was on 20 year old tyres with all the grip of a cat on wet Lino....:rolleyes:

IMG_5560.jpeg

I read this thread with a certain amount of avarice and envy, some of the marques are drool inducing. I, by contrast, am a complete Noob by comparison. My W205 is our first foray into the MB world, I still have to pinch myself every time I get into the car and say to myself "I own a Mercedes", I simply love it. As yet I haven't had the unpleasant surprise of a pelican size bill preferring instead to take out a 3 year service and MOT plan when we bought the car but for now I'm in absolute heaven.

I've owned MB for near 25 years.. my first a

W126 500se which was a real lemon!

Spurred on the mercedes ownership was my uncle's Collection of various W126, 124 and 123s all new cars... not much pcp around in those days! Mid to late 80's.

I then had a w201 which served me well actually made it home to London from Dublin with a clutch pedal that kept hitting the floor on a wet winter saturday afternoon nurserd it all the way home!

I had a few BMWs e31 323i, E30 318i, E30 325i MSport last BMW E46 M3 with incredibly low miles which I do regret selling looking at the prices of stock in modified cars.

Back to MB various W203 saloons and Coupe W204s x 2. C209 which was a pretty car but I feel lady like MB.

A C219 CLS best Colour combo Tanzanite and Cashmere leather I high spec car which again I spent alot on and ultimately gargared, it was so clean so it never saw rain.. madness inhind sight... another one i regret letting go.

Then in to another E90 BMW 330d I had that mapped and swirl flap - egr delete that was pushing 680nm only down side was it being manual again my only reason for selling as you were in the power so fast your constantly changing gear it was like driving with prodigy fire stater state of mind lol

W220 S320CdI 55 Reg - so a late one bought from a trader this looked ok little bit of rust which suprised me which i was happy to address drove nice until I had it inspected and it was ready for £7 or £8k worth of work ( mainly suspension and sensors )- got my money back on that one - small trader.

S211 Facelift E class E320 CDI which was a nice car but a bit of a impulse buy as I couldn't live with the cream and gold colour scheme! All the same a nice car to drive currently residing in Bulgaria!

Currently a W220 05 - Perlite Metallic gray with Aplaca Grey Perforated luxury pack front seats and well optioned car I bought this car on its history and condition probably slightly more miles than I would normally look but a well looked after I6 OM648 it's not high for these engines for people in the know. It is amazingly clean and the previous lady owner to me had lavished thousands on the at MBS mercedes and BMW specailist with pretty much the focus on 100% reliability and new genuine MB parts she regularly drove the car to Germany hence racking up motorway miles.. I did have the rear bumper and front repainted and blended couple of stone chips and bumper rubs on the rear that I didn't like!

I soon realised after my OCD with this car kicking in and having had a number of additional parts replaced some not necessary I wouldn't use it! It's a honest car and I won't skimp on any car I have ever owned always overspent in pursuit of the best it can be.

Brings me to selling her , I'm pretty crap and ads and photos as you can tell! I don't really care if it sells or not tbh altnough i rather it did ans someone would have a great car. I know these cars don't like sitting around on a ctek and wheel wells no matter what- they are for using. It would make a great car for someone who wants comfort, reliability, no big bills to worry about just fuel and who does the occasional motorway journey it's a fun barge to drive and spritely enough with 500nm from the factory and isn't bothered about LED daytime running lights! NO need to spend £30k plus to get the refinement. It's genuinely a lovely car to drive and I took it out last week ( sunny day ) for the ad photos to Warehouse MB sales Chelmsford about 1 mile from home and a few of the sales guys mid 20's age group didn't know what it was and were amazed at the condition - one guy did know his stuff and spotted the luxury seats and Linguatronic plus the OM648 under the bonnet.

I have missed some lesser marques like my Fiat Uno Turbo and a R5 GT Turbo the latter being great fun back in the late 80's another which i shoud have held onto looking at the prices.. I'm sure I've missed lots of others!

Last edited:
3rd 560 SEC

1st 300 SEL 6.3
2nd 560 SEL
3rd 560 SEC
4th AMG 43 ( 202 )
5th CL55 AMG Kompressor
6th 500 S-Class ( 220 )
7th 500 S-Class ( 221 )
8th CL 63 BI-Tubo

I forgot one before the 560SEL i had a 1980 450SEL :)

Last edited:
Most of mine have been from the 80-90s but slowly becoming a AMG expert Rotfl

1989 190
1996 c180
1986 420se
1985 500 sec
1985 380 sel
1988 260e
1992 190e 2.6
2003 e320 s211
2002 e55k
2004 e55k

The most reliable out of all of the those was the little 1989 190 carb

Only if you've had a lot of unexpected repair bills of over £1k....so I'm told:rolleyes:

One of the reasons i sold the CL55 I'm afraid. I owned it for six years and only on a couple of occasions was the bill under a £ 1,000 :rolleyes:

I’ve owned a few.
1990 G-Wagen (before they became the preserve of rappers and pimps)
W210 e class
W124 e class
R170 slk
A208 clk
A209 clk
Currently an R172 slc

Loved them all, but my favourite was the Corrado:banana::thumb::rock:

CL55 AMG Kompressor in Tanzanite with Alpaca + My present CL63 Bi-Turbo with Alpaca and Cavansite Blue which has replaced Tanzanite :):cool:

Started in 1983

1st 300 SEL 6.3
2nd 560 SEL
3rd 560 SEC
4th AMG 43 ( 202 )
5th CL55 AMG Kompressor
6th 500 S-Class ( 220 )
7th 500 S-Class ( 221 )
8th CL 63 BI-Tubo

Do Love a V8 :):D:cool:

What great list , very similar tastes Sir. Oh and the 300 6.3! Nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom